We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

Which is most convenient to the city center and would be a better choice for 5 days in iceland?

thanks!!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

Neither is in the city center. Both offers some sort of transportation - bus stop right outside the Marina, and free shuttle (not frequent) from the Hilton.

I had the same decision to make when I booked the Icelandair package 2 months ago for a trip later this month... after about 15 minutes of reading, I picked the Hilton because (I hope) of the hotel points... It was not a clear choice... I think the Marina gives you more in-hotel activities/features, while the Hilton is a slightly nicer hotel and slightly closer to city center. However, neither is walk-able to city-center. Since I have a rental car and will only be at the hotel to sleep, I could've gone either way.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

The Hilton is 15-25 minute walk to "downtown area" on a busy street. So whether this is acceptable to you depends on the weather and your willingness to walk. There is a supermarket behind the Hilton.

Hafnarfjordur...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

Icelandair has Reykjavik Marina and Reykjavik Natura Hotels.

Stevie128 has most likely stayed at Reykjavik Natura (fits his description) as Reykjavik Marina (unlike Reykjavik Natura) is in the downtown area.

Edited: 7:33 pm, March 03, 2013
Hafnarfjordur...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

Well Stevie128 stayed at Hilton Nordica :-) but was obviously comparing the Hilton to Reykjavik Natura (hence above)...

Hilton has a spa and is close to Laugardalslaug (nice swimming pool) and there are quite a few restaurants in the surrounding. It is also closer (15-20 min walking) to Kringlan shopping mall but, of the two, I would go with Reykjavik Marina unless you intend to spend most days on tours out of town.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

take Marina Hotel, more central.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

Marina is absolutely walkable to the city center, probably less than 10 minutes. Very nice place.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

It might be helpful to see the locations on a map:

en.ja.is/kort/…20marina

The Nordica is the point on the right, and the Icelandair Marina is the point on the left - I was only able to display both locations by requesting directions from one to the other, but you will get an idea of where they are located in the city.

Much depends on what you want to see, but the "tourism" city center is basically the area by lake Tjorn and north to the water and east up Laugavegur a ways. It is not very big, but plenty of restaurants, clubs, shops and sights in this one area.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of Icelandair Natura, as it was one of 2 choices I had when I booked my package... :-)

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

Just to add a bit more in response to the OP's question; for a visitor, Marina is much closer to usual tourist activity than Nautica.

It also my belief that the facilities and view are a bit better at Nautica.But this is purely subjective.

Iif you want to be within very reasonable walking distance of much of all that Reykjavik has to offer a tourist, Marina is the better location.

So much depends on what is important to you, personally.

If you want to be within walking distance of so much of what Reykjavik has to offer (restaurants, shops, clubs...) Marina is the best bet.

Out-of-city day tours will pick up at most hotels, certainly both Marina and Nautica, but Marina puts you within walking distance of the other things Reykjavik has to offer.

The membes of this forum can better help you plan your 5 day stay, if you help us understand what you want to do in Iceland. Explore Reykjakik exclusively, day tours to the countryside, nightlife?

This forum is a great source of information, but to answer your question, we need to understand what you want to do in IIceland, and perhaps better explain the benefits of both locations, in terms of what you want to do.

Edited: 9:48 pm, March 05, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Icelandair Marina or Hilton Nordica?

Thanks so much!! Due to flight cost...I will now be there for 4 days instead of 5. We are not planning on renting a car but will do a few excursions. Was thinking of the golden circle and the southern area. (possibly a 3rd one if you guys have any suggestions) we will also stop at blue lagoon on the way back to the airport. (how much in advance do we have to book this stuff).

We LOVE to walk and explore in the evening as well as going to restaurnats, etc.. Which place would be best for that? We are in our 40's but very energetic. Not into the bar scene but definitely foodies!!

Can we walk to the Harpa concert hall and other places? Does Reykjakvik have a any local city tours or can we just walk?

Thanks!!! Our trip is finally shaping up!!!