We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Northern Lights this week :-(

UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
No Northern Lights this week :-(

Arrived today for a 5 day stay. Went to Blue Lagoon straight from airport. Really, really enjoyed it - sooooo relaxing and sooooo hot in some areas!

Got to hotel about 5pm and asked whether lights had been out and was told that this week was a very bad week as whole of Iceland is covered in cloud - which you can see - and that even the tours searching for them have been cancelled :-(

Shame as our hotel room has a roof window (next to bed) which opens and then a small veranda opens with it so you can stand outside. If lights were out we could lay in bed and watch them. Never mind, we have a car and are looking forward to exploring.

Maybe someone could prove the weather wrong - please :-)

GeoIceland Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Iceland Horizon
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Time Tours
Bus Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Back to Iceland travel
Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

Hi

As much as I love Iceland, what you've just said, same thing happened to us in november! I really don't think Iceland is the best place to see the aurora. ..... You need a heck of a lot of luck........ It is still a fantastic country in many other ways.

Saj

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

You can see the predicted cloud cover here: http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/

It's been clear skies all day up here in the North-east. The night looks good cloud-wise, but the predicted aurora activity is very low.

Predicted aurora activity tonight: …alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe/2013/02/21

Tomorrow, Friday 22nd looks better: …alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe/2013/02/22

But of course none of this matters if the sky is cloudy. Those in the north, around Akureyri and Lake Myvatn might get lucky tonight or tomorrow.

UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

Thanks for the links, Northice - very helpful.

I think we would have to be super-lucky to see the lights during our stay.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

What do you mean PUG206 with ,,as whole of Iceland is covered in cloud " ?

Right now, I´m pretty sure the ones oin the north are enjoying a great show, since the activity is strong, and the skies are clear, and so is predicted for the next few days.

If the lights are a priority, you need to be flexible and ready to travel a bit. It´s a little selfish to expect the lights to be located right above your hotel all the time. The northerners have to get a break sometimes !

But you´re right, the weather is rather shi tt y here in the south.

Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

Sorry to hear about your luck but the best thing you can do is check the cloud cover forecast and go to where it is clear... It's asking a lot to stay in one spot and see the aurora... Iceland weather is too crazy for this.

Seattle
Level Contributor
134 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

Just got back to Seattle a few hours ago from our second trip to Reykjavik. Basically, Northern Lights 2, me 0. Zero Aurora Borealis sighting after 2 trips. We encountered blizzard like conditions March 2 years ago, and this time we had rain and loads of clouds. Quite disappointing after acquiring and lugging around loads for photography equipment specifically for capturing the Northern Lights. There was Northern Lights sighting 2 days before we arrive.

Thoroughly enjoyed all our day trips. Gateway To Iceland (GTI) was awesome. We used them for both our trips.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

Pug206

We're with you on his one. Hoping to see them tonight or tomorrow. Chin up and fingers crossed :)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

I wouldn't take too much stock in those website if i were you, yes they are very helpful but they are defiantly not gospel

We were in Iceland for 2 weeks and managed to see the lights 5 times, we checked the websites every day and used them as a guide but if the sky’s looked clear we went for a drive and tried to find the lights

on our last night we had checked the forecast, it said a little cloud but 0 activity, so we sat out in the hot tub looked up and to our surprise the lights were there in full force, after rushing to get dressed into our warm clothes we drove a few minuets up the road, pulled up and saw an incredible display with the lights dancing all over the sky with green and even some red at some point

My point is don't get to disheartened if the forecast doesn't look good, it can be wrong especially about the intensity, we did find it was mostly correct when i came to cloud cover though

UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

Hey, Icelandicguide - chill!

I only posted what I'd been told. Of course I don't expect to see the lights on demand.

nyc
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Northern Lights this week :-(

I'm heading to Iceland tonight for a little four night trip. aside from the usual sites to check, i've been watching http://spaceweather.com/ - looks like there were some auroras somewhere in iceland last night (east coast!)

but yes, i feel like the awesome thing about visiting iceland as opposed to tromso/norway is that there's so much more to do in iceland aside from the auroras, and more bang for your buck so to speak, than going up to the arctic circle in scandinavia proper. not that i don't want to do that someday too, but it just takes more time and money, whereas from where i am, i can just pop over to reykjavik and hope for the best.

Edited: 12:27 pm, February 22, 2013