We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exploring iceland from one hotel?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
exploring iceland from one hotel?

CAn we explore Iceland with one homebase hotel in reykjavik or is it better to stop at a different place each day. We are planning on spending one week there. We want to rent a car and explore on our own.

Any suggestions?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exploring iceland from one hotel?

You can't explore the whole of Iceland by just basing yourself in Reykjavik but you can explore the Southwestern corner or Iceland that way. That includes the Snæfellsnes peninsula, Reykjanes peninsula, Golden Circle, and the South coast.

Budapest
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: exploring iceland from one hotel?

Hi Northice!

I was waiting your comments on my question previously but it did not come :)

So I ask it here if not problem:

Is it possible to do in one day the golden ring and the Reykjanes peninsula including the main sites? Or it is better to explore more from each?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exploring iceland from one hotel?

Yes, I assumed we couldnt see the whole country..but if we are there for a week...where should we go? (even if we have to stay at one or 2 hotels). Ive heard the souther part is adequate to get a taste of the coutnry.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exploring iceland from one hotel?

Hi Ash170. The Golden Circle can be done in 6 hours from Reykjavik. If you start the day early in the morning, like around 8 am, then you can have time to see some of Reykjanes peninsula (for example the area around Kleifarvatn) in the afternoon. Especially in the summer when you have constant daylight. Be aware that this is a lot of driving though.

AWBW2011. Yes the Southwest towards Southeast has a LOT to offer. I suggest you have at least 2 bases. One in Reykjavik and another one close to Vik. That will allow you to see everything from Snæfellsnes peninsula (1 day), Golden Circle (half to one day), South coast to Vik (1 day), Vik to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon (1 - 2 days), Reykjanes peninsula (1 day). This would be a relatively relaxed itinerary with countless sights and time to explore them.

An alternative could be to see the South coast and Golden circle in 2-3 days, then head north to Lake Myvatn and explore the Diamond Circle which includes a huge amount of places, such as Dettifoss waterfall, Jokulsargljufur canyon, Asbyrgi, the whole Myvatn area with geothermal areas, volcanos, birdlife, local cousine, craters, etc... Husavik with it's whale watching, Godafoss waterfall, Akureyri, and more.

Belfast, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: exploring iceland from one hotel?

My suggestion is to rent a camper. That way you are not tied down to one hotel, and have the freedom to explore on your own.

I took a 2 week trip to iceland last year and rented with a company called lavacampers. During the last four days of our trip, we stayed at a hotel in reykjavik and it really made a difference to not have "a portable room"

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: exploring iceland from one hotel?

how many days i the capital and how many days near vik?? any good hotel recommendations? should we rent a car?

Rockport...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: exploring iceland from one hotel?

We are going to Iceland in Sept. for one week as well. Could you share where you stayed? Highlights?

Thanks,

Ruth

8. Re: exploring iceland from one hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 05, 2015