We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

Can anyone recommend a rental company they have used, we would like to rent for 3 days but am concerned about some of the reviews eg. with excess probs, not getting money back . It would be nice to use a genuine company , and not be ripped off. We have never rented a car before so we are novice at all this but feel it would be the better choice than the buses. Thanks

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

There are many excellent reputable car rentals to choose from. The vast majority of them are honest/genuine.

I have used Höldur/Europcar when I have needed to rent a car: http://www.holdur.is/en and never had problems.

Some peace of advice, take all the insurance offered. Also sand/ash insurance. It's not a scam even if it may sound weird to some people. Many of the "horror" stories posted here on this forum are because people didn't take this type of insurance.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

I have used HolidayAutos for car hire over 20 times throughout Europe, including twice in Iceland. They are a broker offering very competitive prices. They placed me with Hertz and Thrifty at Keflavik, Both companies were fine with newish cars and courteous staff. Blur Car Rental has good reviews so they are worth checking out too.

As Northice says, take all the insurance. Additionally, check the car thoroughly on pickup and ensure that every mark, no matter how small is marked on the collection sheet.

Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

I've just booked from budget via iceland air which was the cheapest I could find.

But it also varied from the dates, we got it for the whole week.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
355 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

I booked a car through Blue Car Rental (http://www.bluecarrental.is/) and had a very pleasant experience. We arranged to have the car dropped off and picked up at our hotel. Both times the car rental attendant was on time and very helpful. We had no issues. They were also very helpful via email prior to us booking the car.

Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

Blue.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

We used Geysir last time we were there. They had good service and prices and they are right at the Keflavik terminal. We even got a free upgrade. No problems returning the vehicle either.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
349 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

We are here now and have a car from Blue. No issues at all. We turn it in tomorrow when we fly home. They cover everything except the wind sheild and it the doors get blown off. Which actually happens so hold onto the door when you open it. The winds are crazy here. Also do not drive over the speed limit. They have the speeding ticket cameras everywhere. If you go 1 km over the limit it takes your picture and the rental company will pass the cost onto to you. I think we have gotten a few. I wish somoene would have warned us about this. I also highly recommend a GPS. It warns you when a speed trap is coming up. It is a life saver.

Middelburg, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

Was in Iceland end of April. Rented a nice Ford Focus from Thrifty. Got picked up at Kef, drove to the office, got explanation on insurance, courteous staff. Dropped the car off at Reykjavík office, and after checking the car out got a ride back to my hotel. See no reason not to use them next year, all was fine.

Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

Great service though FYI budget / thrifty are basically the same just the same person sitting at 2 desks in the airport.

Highly recommend looking at a full week as it was cheapest for us, and super easy to get out of the airport and find our way back.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in reykjavik--- which is best ?

I highly recommend Thrifty Iceland. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I got a new car Mazda 6 and was very pleased with it and the price I paid.

The office was close to the airport and was offered free shuttle to the office.

I would most definitely rent with this company again.

Edited: 7:45 am, July 11, 2013