We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walkability of Reykjavík in March

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Walkability of Reykjavík in March

Hi, I'm visiting Reykjavík mid-March and would like to know if we can explore the city on our own on foot or if the streets will be too icey to walk on that we should take a sighseeing tour instead? Thanks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walkability of Reykjavík in March

You should be able to walk around.

But you should take good footwear along, ready for slush and slippery sidewalks, but hope for dry and warm weather.

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walkability of Reykjavík in March

I’m going to Reykjavik in two weeks but going to assume that while there may be a slick spot here or there, the “sidewalks” will be passable. Be hard for a Reykjavik business owner to stay in business during the winter time if folks can’t walk into their shop or restaurant. Many cites require the business owner to keep the sidewalk in front of their place clean of obstructions. Enjoy your trip.

Plymouth, MA
Level Contributor
40 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walkability of Reykjavík in March

I was there in early February and the sidewalks were perfectly clear, even right after a small snowstorm. I'd bring hiking sneakers or boots, something with good traction just in case.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
19 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walkability of Reykjavík in March

Actually many business owners do nothing to keep the sidewalk in front of their shops (or their private parking) clean of snow. I've seen plenty of dangerously icy steps and very snowy sidewalks (as, when it's removed from the road, the snow is often piled onto sidewalks) in Reykjavik over the years.

However there should not be any problems in March, as the temperatures are generally milder. Also, this winter has been particularly snow-free. Just bring comfortable shoes which keep your feet dry and you'll be fine.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
349 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walkability of Reykjavík in March

Been here for a week and have done a lot of walking. No issues at all. Just wear warm boots/shoes. No slush or anything.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walkability of Reykjavík in March

March can be mild in Reykjavik but it is not a given. Bring footwear and clothes for any weather and you should be good to go in downtown reykjavík. Icelanders say that if you don´t like the weather, wait 10 minutes. It´s bound to change, hopefully to the better. Also there is lots of coffee bars to take shelter in if needed. Enjoy your stay.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walkability of Reykjavík in March

Yes, I have been in there in March and you can walk. You should bring layers -- it can be wet, cold and foggy/misty around this time of year. It can also be windy as well. It is not bad by any means but you'll be happier if you are prepared for cold, wet and wind just in case. I am sure you will enjoy Iceland any time of year!

8. Re: Walkability of Reykjavík in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 28, 2014