We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour in the dark?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Tour in the dark?

I am thinking of booking an Iceland Air package that begins March 16. The tour involves a jeep ride through the countryside promising amazing scenery and vistas. The jeep tour starts at 6:30pm. Isn't it completely dark then in March? I would really like to get a look at Iceland as I'm only there a few days. Can anyone tell me when the sun sets there in mid-March? Thanks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour in the dark?

There is only one tour, that would start that early. And since the drive alone is 10 hours, the operator is going to give you the most out of the daylight.

Twilight starts around 07:00 and is again around 20:00. So you´ll be spending the part of the tour, which is not overlapped by other tours in daylight.

You have a good operator, be happy.

new jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour in the dark?

Hello and thanks for your message, although I'm not sure I understand it. The tour leaves at 6:30 in the evening and is only for four hours, so not sure what you mean by 10 hour drive. My question is: Is it pitch dark when the tour leaves at 6:30 in the evening? And if so why do they promise great scenery? Has anyone else taken this tour in the winter? It is the Northern Lights Off Road Adventure booked via Iceland Air.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour in the dark?

Sunset is at about 7.30pm on the 16th March. See link below

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour in the dark?

icelandicguide must have read it as 6:30 AM and assumed it's an Jokulsarlon tour or a similar tour that lasts for so long.

Okay so it's a Northern lights tour: icelandair.us/offers-and-bookings/…

In that case it *has* to be dark, or else you could not see the Northern lights. The website says you'll return to Reykjavik around midnight.

It won't be pitch black at 6:30 but it will be some 2 hours later. Seems like you'll be able to enjoy a mixture of scenery in the twilight and then the night sky.

new jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour in the dark?

Thanks so much for replies - am looking forward to seeing Iceland.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour in the dark?

Sorry, mixed up AM and PM. We don´t use these terms here, we say in the morning and afternoon. Or use 24 hours system. This alway confuses me every time.

7. Re: Tour in the dark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 01, 2014