We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wakefield, United...
1 post
Save Topic
how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

Please can you advise how many kronas to take to buy light lunch and a drink - am visiting over four days in Reykjavik ?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

1000 - 5000 Isk. all depending on the level of service, the quality, the size, and if alcohol or not.

As a Icelander, I could do fine with less than 1000 in a supermarket, or less than 2000 in a restaurant.

Expect similar prices as in London.

Merzouga, Morocco
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

How do you define "light lunch and a drink".

This can range from a hot dog and Coke for ISK500, to something at a top end restaurant with a glass of wine for over ISK5000.

It all depends on what you get, and where you get it.

Just to be correct, the Icelandic currency is the Krona, the plural of Krona is Kronor, not Kronas

Edited: 7:11 pm, January 07, 2013
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

Since we are in the business of correcting grammar, the plural of Króna is Krónur not Kronor. ;-))

Merzouga, Morocco
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

My source was Wikipedia and a search for "Krona" gave me "Kronor" as the plural, but it is for Swedish Krona not Iceland Krona, but I would have thought that they would be the same.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/krona

Not to be overly corrective, but saying "Kronas" just sounds wrong, so when I made a reply to the OP's post, I goggled "Krona", and got the above link, and edited my post.

Perhaps I should have goggled "Iceland Krona", as that does, in fact, define the plural of Iceland's Krona as Kronur:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Kronur

Interesting that the currency in Iceland and Sweden is the Krona, but the plural of currency is spelled differently.

Once again, icelandguide knows of which he speaks.

Sorry to take this off-topic.

Anita, when it comes to lunch, you can go budget or splurge, depending on your feelings when you are there, but I think you have an idea of prices, depending on what you want.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

a very nice cheap lunch trick is to have soup salad and bread. the soups are always tastey and most cafes or places that serve it do so as a buffet affair where you can have as much as you want. it is cheap...usualy five quid 1000kr at the very most (often less) and no waiting around gives you more time to explore. similarly a lot of cafes have free refills on regular filter coffee too. that means more money for the baked marzipan or waffles...then again I could probably also spend every lunch at the pylsur stand too...yum

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

depends on how much you will eat and drink. / jonas

7. Re: how much money to take to buy light lunch & a drink

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 10, 2014