We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reykjavik Prices?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
179 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Reykjavik Prices?

Hello,

Visiting iceland in march 2013, could anyone please advise us on a rough guide, how much each day we will need for food/drinks. Iv read varied bits about it being dear and others saying its not too bad; just after a rough guide as to general prices, pint prices etc in gbp?

Secondly, i read a interesting piece on here about not bothering with changing currency here in the UK and to just use ATM's in iceland, as the currency is hard to change back to gbp if we have any left over when we fly home.

We have booked an excursion to view the northern lights, hopefully luck is on our side as this is something i have wanted to see for years! I read that March 2013 is meant to be a quite active aurora month?

Thanks in advance, any tips on bars or restaurants would be great too!

Thankyou

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

Looking at a currency converter chart ( http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ ) I use for travel research, for American travelers, USD has dropped 3 cents the last 30 days against ISK. Luckily I paid 50% deposit for my Iceland activities awhile back when I got a better bang for my buck. It's a coin toss what the exchange rate will be when I leave in aprox. 55 days for Iceland.

To have or not to have the correct currency prior to arrival in another country is a debate held all over TA forums. For some it's a comfort level to have the country's currency prior to arrival. As stated in a post above, make sure you contact your credit card company / bank to let them know "exactly" which countries you will use your credit card in.

Knowing what my credit card company / bank charges or doesn't charge when I travel internationally, I've always waited and used the ATM machines for a little cash once there but use my credit card for 95% of my expenditures. When I traveled in Ireland and stayed at B & B's, many of them do not except credit cards. I made sure that I had increased my daily withdraw amount for the ATM machines. Something to think about if for some reason you like to pay cash for various charges.

UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

Indeed - but a better rate could be wiped out because of the commission.

CANNOCK, UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

Hi soryy to hijack this thread, BUT, is Landsbankinn open in Rejkavik on a Saturday? we land late friday afternoon, and was going to get it on Saturday if the bank is open...

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

No. The airport bank is open when you arrive, and ATM´s are 24/7

CANNOCK, UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

the flight lands at 16.50, will the airport bank still be open?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

Check yourself: http://www.landsbankinn.com/

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

Having looked at the link, I'd say that there appears to be commission charged at .5% (for the GB pound, our currency) - I'd guess the column headed up 'change' is meant to be 'charge', unless someone can put me right on that. However, I can't tell whether these are the tourist exchange rates or commercial. In the UK, there's quite a difference.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

,,Change" means changes (up or down) from last listings, (yesterday).

You Have to use the ,,NOTE" rate (NOTE as paper money), ,,General" is for commercial ,,non paper" exchanges.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

Thank you. That clarifies it!

Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Reykjavik Prices?

So how much would you say is a good budget for the amt u will need a day for food per person?