We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute trip

I have booked a last minute trip for myself and 2 children (10 & 12 years) for a short trip over the New Year.

My planned itinery will be:

Dec 31st: Arrive at airport 4pm.

Dinner & Fireworks

Jan 1st: Late start

Afternoon - ??? Blue lagoon for half day

Jan 2nd - Day trip or walking around Reykjavik

Evening: NL tour booked with superjeeps

Jan 3rd - Day trip or walking around Reykjavik

Evening: Backup for NL tour - just in case!!

Jan 4th - Early am flight back to UK

Some questions if people can help:

- I am assuming there are taxis at the airport - any guide to cost?

- Has anyone used Superjeeps for the NL tour? Do you have any comments? It is called amazing tours and booked on the iceland4you.is website

- any recommendations for dinner on Dec 31st with 2 children? Will there be a problem finding somewhere with reservations available as I have left it quite late?

- From an earlier post, I believe Hallgrimskirkja is a good place to see the fireworks, this looks reasonably walkable, about 30mins from the hotel we will be staying at (Radisson blu 1919) - Do we need to get there early or are the fireworks easily visible despite the crowds?

- We have 2 1/5 days available. what is the best use of that time?

I was thinking about 1/2 day at the blue lagoon, 1 day in the city itself - any recommendations for things that would capture the attention of children? and 1 day on a tour - I would like to see the glaciers; maybe on a boat trip?

I am very excited & can't wait to go so any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated to make this a really good trip

Thank you in advance

GeoIceland Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Iceland Horizon
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Back to Iceland travel
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Time Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip

Hi

We have just come back from Iceland and we airport transfers through iceland guided tours. and the man was waiting at the airport for us.

If you take a look around their website have a look at day trips they do. we did a few through them we were happy.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip

The Northern lights tour is good, but......

Do you get another tour for free, if there is a ,,no show" on the first night ?

Some operators offer that, like www.tourguide.is and www.superjeep.is both leading operators in Northern Lights tours.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip

Just returned from Reykjavik and loved it. It's a wonderful and welcoming city. The people are marvelous.

I would suggest NOT taking a cab from the airport. Keflavik is a good 40 minutes from Reykjavik on excellent and uncrowded roads. Look at the Flybus and Airport Express websites. They are reasonable and prompt. Airport Express is less expensive and a bit more friendly. Taxis are very expensive.

A half-day at the Blue Lagoon might be nice but it will be very expensive. The BL is also 3/4 of the way back to the airport (at least 30 minutes). There are at least 7 public pools/spas in the city and one of them has great kid-friendly slides, etc.

Your hotel is very close to the Information Center. They will provide fantastic advice on activities, etc.

Reykjavik is a very small city. I walked from the area of your hotel to the cathedral - uphill and stopping in stores - in 20 or so minutes. I'm 70 years old so I think it should be an easy walk for you. The fireworks are over the harbor and you can see them from virtually everywhere in the city. Again, ask at the Info Center.

If you have one day to take a tour, go on the Golden Circle tour. Your kids (and you???) will LOVE the geysir and the frozen waterfall.

Enjoy! (It's hard not to!)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip

You can see the fireworks from anywhere, everyone buys fireworks. Just dont go out to look at it while the áramótaskaup is on tv ;) It should be finished around 23:30

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip

You have a lot of time planned for exploring the city.... It's not very big at all.

Flybus / reykjavik excursions are probably the best and cheapest way of getting from airport to hotel. You can book this upfront online.

Do the golden circle, pretty good value for money.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute trip

Thanks everyone for your comments - I have now booked the flybus to transfer from the hotel and made a reservation at Harrys for New years eve.

I am still undecided about which tours to book for the couple of days I have available - I will probably go for a golden circle tour; but with which company!!

They all look good - bus or jeep? I shall enjoy making the choice!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute trip

I'll post who I used a little later. Have to find the leaflets first.

8. Re: Last minute trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 18, 2013