We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue lagoon from Keflavik airport?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
Blue lagoon from Keflavik airport?

Hi

My partner and I are going to Reykjavik next week and haven't made our mind up whether to go to the blue lagoon from the airport or whether to go on a different day?

Our flight arrives at 10.30am on sunday and according to the Flybus timetable, the next bus to the blue lagoon is 12.45.

Is there anywhere we could get food while we wait for the bus? Or would it be best to get a taxi to the blue lagoon?

I'd be grateful for any responses.

Thanks

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue lagoon from Keflavik airport?

There is no place to get food in the airport, so Keflavik is the nearest place, TAXI there and the to the Blue lagoon seems a waste of time and money, so I recommend going to Reykjavik, check in, and take a bus to the Lagoon in the afternoon: www.netbus.is

Another alternative is to hire a private guide to meet you at the airport, and take you along Reykjanes peninsula, including the Blue Lagoon and back to Reykjavik in the afternoon. That way you would make a day out of it and not waste any time on buses on day one.

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue lagoon from Keflavik airport?

We are also trying to decide if we should go to Blue Lagoon from the airport (or on way to airport) or to do it on a different day.

In the end we decided to do it on a different day coz (1) we do not want to rush our trip at BL in case we enjoy it way too much and (2) our flight timings is either quite early or late for both arrival and departure.

So what we plan to do is to head to BL in the late afternoon and return to Reykjavik late at night (Last bus @ 9pm I think). Hoping to catch the place in both daylight and night time. And hoping there will be less crowd . N who knows might be able to catch the NLs!

Anyway if there's time constrains, just do it on way to (or from) airport. Would be great way to arrive or leave Iceland anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue lagoon from Keflavik airport?

We've decided to go straight from the airport to BL then onto hotel in Reykjavic. We booked through Bustravel Iceland and it cost 2,900 IKR per person. We arrive at the airport at 1025, get picked up at 11am then will look to head into Reykjavic around 2pm - that will give a couple of hours in the Blue Lagoon.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue lagoon from Keflavik airport?

I visited the Blue Lagoon just the other day, on a day of epic rain and wind that shook the bus as we drove over the volcanic landscape. Quite honestly, I would gladly have not gone to the BL this time of year, and I can't imagine ever needing to go back. The ambient temperature in the winter is not warm enough to make the BL's varied temperatures comfortable. In fact, it was very chilling. The BL, being a natural geothermal source, has hot spots and warm spots and lukewarm spots. In December's chill, it's just way too varied. I wanted and needed actual warmth, which you don't find out in the lagoon, which is waist-deep. You have to squat to go in to your neck to feel warmth. Also, having done it in this last week, I can say that the question of whether to go on the way to or from the airport is no longer an issue; I wondered about that too. I was glad I went on a day when I had nothing else to do, because the fumes from the water and the geothermal heat source really did me in. I felt sick on the drive back, and far too much of my body felt weird after the "curative" waters. I would say that the BL sounds like a really good idea unless you have any sensitivities to the silica and/or whatever else my body didn't like. Staying indoors in the BL didn't help, either, since the indoor pools are no warmer than the outdoor pools. There's a sauna I never found, and the much-touted (indoor) waterfall is just a rather large, ugly drip from an overhead stone formation. The place smells bad, of algae and green wetness that is really unpleasant, and the towels and bathrobes (available for an extra price) felt damp and unwashed from previous visitors. Also, the floors are extremely slippery, and it's wise to get or bring sandals. It's a laborious process washing up, there's virtually no privacy, but I did talk to a couple of really nice ladies, who now know precisely what my boobs look like. ;-) Other than that, for me personally, I have no need to do it again. Once was enough.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue lagoon from Keflavik airport?

we did this last sunday and did the stop off after the airport and our flight was 10.30 landing time. we used iceland guided tours for airport transfers and they were wating when we got there. I recommend using this company.

6. Re: Blue lagoon from Keflavik airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 17, 2013