We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iceland in the end of may -- Icelandair Hotel Nordica or...

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
7 posts
Save Topic
iceland in the end of may -- Icelandair Hotel Nordica or...

hi everyone,

my wife and i are thinking about going to the iceland at the end of May. We found 2 packages from the icelandair. One is just hotel and airfare, and the other with the deluxe spa package at Nordica. Is it worthed it to pay $700 more for 2 persons for the spa package? Also, i would like to get some advice for places to go for our 4 nites stay in Reykjavik. thanks in advance, and have a great weekend!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iceland in the end of may -- Icelandair Hotel Nordica or...

Ooh, the Nordica, definitely. If you can book the hotel without the spa package, then do so, as it's quite nice on its own.

The Loftleidir sits near the domestic airport (but it's not noisy), and is a long walk from the city centre, or a bit of a schlep on bus number 7. The Nordica is a bit away from the centre, too, but it's a nicer walk, or there are at least four buses that pass it to the centre.

The Nordica is about ten minutes' walk from the Laugardalur swimming complex, which is wonderful - esp the outdoor hot pot, which is massive. If you or your missus wants a bit of a spa treatment, there's an E'spa there which offers some swell pampering, plus the basics.

New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iceland in the end of may -- Icelandair Hotel Nordica or...

I just returned from a week in Iceland and enjoyed it immensely. There are more than two hotels for packages with Iceland Air, you have a choice of many ones. Nordica is a business type hotel, but is frankly out of the way if you are planning to walk to most of the downtown shops and restaurants. You will have to take either a taxi (expensive) or a bus (reasonable). I also went to the spa at Nordica, which was nice but nothing extraordinary. You can get two 50 minute massages there for about $180 U.S.- so I don't think that a $700 spa package is worth it. If you stay at the Nordica, you could also go to the Laugar Spa, which is close by. Make reservations early at the spas, they book up quick.

We stayed at Hotel Odinsve with an Iceland Air package. It is a small downtown hotel in a quiet residential area. The rooms are somewhat small, (most hotel rooms in Iceland have that minimalist Scandinavian blond wood style) but nice and the hotel staff was incredibly helpful and we enjoyed it a lot. They arranged all of our tours for us. There is also a very good restaurant named Siggi Hall in the hotel. Another hotel more convenient to downtown but along the lines of a business hotel is the Radisson SAS Saga hotel.

I would suggest that you take at a few tours out of town, because the countryside is unusual. One tour we loved was to Lake Myvatn- it involved a 40 minute flight to Akureyri and then a seven hour guided tour. It turned out that we were the only ones on the tour and had our own personal tour guide. Although it costs $300 U.S. each, it was well worth it. The Golden Circle tour is nice also, but not as much fun as going to Myvatn. .Also, don't miss the Blue Lagoon as well as going horseback riding. The horses are like large ponies and are quite smooth to ride- you don't require any experience and it's lots of fun.

Restaurants- The Seafood Cellar is spectacular and that's coming from someone who has been to great restaurants in New York. It's very expensive but worth every dime. Apotek is also quite good as well.

Good luck.

san francisco
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: iceland in the end of may -- Icelandair Hotel Nordica or...

Thanks so much for the info. I think we will go ahead and book it without the spa package. The Lake Myvatn tour sounds very interesting, and we will definitely check that out! Thanks again