We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Trip Comments

Chicago
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
My Trip Comments

My wife, brother, and his girlfriend just returned from a 4 day Iceland trip. What a fantastic trip. I've been to a lot of different places in the world, but this is at the top of my list. We were there from November 15th to 18th.

We landed on the 15th and took a taxi to Hotel 101. The taxi was about $130, but after flying overnight and not getting much sleep, this was worked out great vs. waiting for the bus. Hotel 101 was excellent. Great location, friendly and helpful staff, great bar at night, and good breakfast.

On the day of our arrival, we spent the day walking around Reykjavik. What a cool little city -- good sights, great food, amazing views over the water. We had lunch at Seafood Grill, stopped at a local cofffee shop, and saw some of the landmarks. You can walk the entire city in a few hours. We had dinner at Grill Market. Wow. Another amazing meal. We had a Northern Lights tour booked the first night with Discover Iceland, but they called to cancel due to the weather. While disspointed, we were re-booked for the following night and were happy to get to sleep.

The 2nd day we did a full day tour with Discover Iceland of the Golden Circle + Snowmobiling. Had a blast. Discover Iceland was great -- I wrote a separate review of them on their page.

3rd day we did the Southern Coast tour with Discover Iceland. That night, we did the Northern Lights Tour.

Final day we stopped at the Blue Lagoon for a few hours before heading to the airport. They had large lockers for our luggage. While I'm not sure how 'natual' that place is, it was a memorable experience. We took a cab from the city to Blue Laggon and another cab to the airport. There are buses you can take, but this was so much easier for us.

Overall, more than enough time for us. We saw so much, have great pictures, and really enjoyed our trip. I'd like to go back in the summer and explore the Northern Coast.

If you've never been, I'd highly suggest for everyone.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My Trip Comments

Sounds like a great visit.

As you are in Chicago, did you fly out of an Icelandair East Coast city? If so, which one and how did you choose it?

Do you have a rough idea of the cost pp for your 3 day visit.?

I think it sounds like a great place to visit, but I've heard the weather can make all the difference during the winter months. Did the weather impact your visit in any way?

Thanks.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Trip Comments

Hi. We now live on the East Coast and flew on Iceland Air direct to KEF. Was a relatively short flight, comfortable seats in coach, so we were satisfied.

For the 4 days, I'd say we probably spent around $5K ($1600 for 2 flights; $850 for hotel as they had a stay 3 pay 2 deal; $1000 food, drink and taxi, randon stuff; $1500 for all 3 tours) -- but granted we booked our flights late, took taxis, booked a suite at the hotel, did private tours, and splurged on meals / alcohol.

It really was a fantastic trip. Where else can you see landscape with lava fields, volcanos, waterfalls, gysers, hot springs, glaciers, have great food, and be with friendly people.

We had no problems with the weather. It was cold, but just dress in layers. Discover Iceland has the SuperJeeps, so no problem getting around with the snow -- it actually made for more damatic pictures.

3. Re: My Trip Comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 16, 2013