We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General getting around & time questions

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
193 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
General getting around & time questions

How long do most people think the average Golden Circle Tour lasts??

We are arriving via cruise ship and are in port from noon to 11:00pm. The Golden Circle tour is the least important item on our list of must-dos. However, with such a long time in port, what are the locals opinions about our having enough time to do the following items...

*Take a Golden Circle tour

*Take a swim in the Blue Lagoon

*Visit a local supermarket (one of my favorite things to do in other countries)

*Grab a bite to eat somewhere

Also, if we have a pre-arranged Golden Circle tour for noon...can we hire a taxi to get us around to the other places afterwards?? Are taxis readily available??

Thanks for your answers. We are in the beginning stages of planning and I'm still green when it comes to Iceland. :-)

Edited: 7:43 pm, November 17, 2012
Manchester
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General getting around & time questions

You'll have to pick one or the other on your choices.

We did GC yesterday and took from 9 till 5, and that wasn't spending lots of time at the attractions.

BL is 45mins from Reykjavik and you could easily spend 3-4 hours there.

So if you want to do GC, you won't be able to fit in BL.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
477 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General getting around & time questions

I have done the golden circle by car comfortably in a day

Toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: General getting around & time questions

You can do golden circle, supermarket, and food all in that time. No problem. You'd probably have to choose between golden circle and blue lagoon. It's personal preference, but having done both, I'd highly recommend you choose golden circle.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General getting around & time questions

I recommend you do the Golden Circle if you want to get a taste of Iceland. The Blue Lagoon is wonderful too, but I imagine you get plenty of time to relax on the ship, hence my suggestion to go sightseeing in the country side.

Then again, this is a matter of personal preference.

Go on a Golden Circle tour if you'd like to see Gullfoss waterfall, Strokkur geyser & hot springs, Thingvellir UNESCO site and the Icelandic countryside.

Go to the Blue Lagoon if you'd like to relax in warm water, surrounded by a black lava field.

If you're a fan of supermarkets you should look for a Hagkaup store, it's the Icelandic version of a hypermarket. The Hagkaup store in Skeifan is open 24/7, the Hagkaup stores at Smaralind and Kringlan malls are open till at least 8 pm. Bonus, low cost supermarkets usually close between 6-7 pm.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General getting around & time questions

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and good information.

I am leaning toward the Blue Lagoon because we are young(ish) and we have thirty more years of traveling so it is more than likely that we will see Iceland again someday and can do the Golden Circle Tour then. That, and I just really think that Blue Lagoon looks cool.

Love all the other tips and suggestions!

Thanks everyone!!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General getting around & time questions

Here´s and idea:

Do a tour of the Reykjanes peninsula with a private tourguide. You can visit and underground lava tube (inside a volcano), see beautiful lava tubes, hot spring area, visit a fishing village, a warm, fuming volcano crater, see the divide between the continents and ending the tour in the Blue Lagoon, Grab something to eat there (or having the Icelandic hot dog somewhere). And visit a Hagkaup supermarket on the way back to the ship !

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

7. Re: General getting around & time questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, November 23, 2012
8. Re: General getting around & time questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, December 16, 2013