We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reykjavik in March 2013

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Reykjavik in March 2013

Hi all,

We would be going to Iceland for a week for our honeymoon in March 2013 (and to Sweden (stockholm & kiruna) and to a Tallinn/St Pete's/Helsinki Cruise after!) to catch the northern lights and for a wedding photoshoot at the waterfalls (how exciting!!!)

Just like to ask around what is fun to do in Reykjavik city in March?

Any off the beaten tracks tips? Something that locals do?

We would spend the 1st 3-4 days or so meeting with photographer and doing the photoshoot as well as just hanging out in Reykjavik before going on Golden Circle Tour and Jokulsarlon Tour the days after.

Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

Good luck, I think you've chosen an awesome time to go. My boyfriend and I will also be going in March (the new moon week) and chasing those lights. If you're there at the same time, perhaps we'll see each other on a tour?

Edited: 7:23 pm, November 18, 2012
sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

My husband and I are also there for the new moon in March. We arrive on the 10th and will come back to London on 16th.

For cynthia, I think maybe the thermal baths not Blue Lagoon but the local baths are somewhere you will meet up with locals. One of them has a beautiful spa attached as well. it is called Laugardalslaug. I cannot find the website for the actual spa, but plenty of information on Trip advisor and on various sites. Definitely where locals hang out.

looking for your spa I found this lunch spot which is also local. Hugely popular with Reykjavikers seeking an affordable spot for lunch who come for its fresh baked bread, home made soups, and its fantastic fish of the day (fish cakes on the day I went), Ostabúðin doesn't seem to be on the radar of the tourist guidebooks.

Ostabúðin’s little hidden secret is its cosy restaurant on the bottom floor, open during lunch hours, (from 11:30 to 14:30). The small space only has a couple of seats and usually fills up quickly every day, but as the service is fast you don't have to wait long.

www.ostabudin.is/

Skólavörðustígur 8, 101 Reykjavík,

+354 562 2772

Also one of the tours I am doing ( hope so anyhow, not yet booked) is a half day snorkelling over the continental divide. You wear dry suits. http://www.dive.is/

trying to find the link for the Laugardalslaug thermal pool, which is one recommended as very good and used by locals, I came across this link for the town in general with lots of ideas some for tourists but others for all.

http://villareykjavik.com/reykjavik/

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

Thanks all for the lovely replies!

N yes I'm there on 10th Mar week too! So that it's moonless to catch the NL... plus it's near to March Equinox on 21st so fingers crossed there's spectaculars display of NL... cmon it's 2013 solar maximum!

So Annette we might catch each other on a NL tour!

One reason why we are joining the 2D1N South Coast to Jokulsarlon is because we will be spending a night away from Reykjavik near the lagoon and plus if there's NL... it will make a stunning picture with the lights over the glacier lagoon!

Thanks SpringQueen for the suggestions! Was also looking at Laugardalslaug coz i came across it quite a bit when doing Iceland research. Doing hot bath in cold weather is just awesome! But i do plan to go to Blue Lagoon in late afternoon and return to Reykjavik late like 9pm so hopefully we can catch some NL at the lagoon itself or on way back!

Thanks for the hidden find lunch suggestion! Definitely looking for such sweet spots!

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

Do any of you know which tour you are using for NL? or what night(s)?I am at the Northern lIghts inn on the 11th, and maybe also on the 10th. It is curently booked out for a tour, but they may not fill up all the rooms so I am waitlisted for that date. I will be staying somewhere in Grindvik. From the 12th which is the actual new moon, I will be staying in Reyjkavik, and plan on using the Northern Lights Emperors tour if possible for that night, praying for clear skies.

If those all fail to give us good viewing I will go out again , until I get good skies.

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

Haven't decide on any NL tours yet.

I was initially just thinking of going with the likes of Reykjavik Excursions or Iceland Excursions coz I tot all is about the same or no?

Probably some is with smaller groups?

Hmm i should go check out the NL tours and report back!

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

Haven't decide on any NL tours yet.

I was initially just thinking of going with the likes of Reykjavik Excursions or Iceland Excursions coz I tot all is about the same or no?

Probably some is with smaller groups?

Hmm i should go check out the NL tours and report back!

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

I am paying extra to get on the super jeeps tour as they can go further off the main roads than the buses. they also sometimes stay out later, and they do also guarantee that if they go ahead and we dont see the lights that you can book another night without further pay.

You may very well see the lights from your hotel in the South as I hope to do so at the Northern Lights Inn, certainly the most civilised way to see them, but I am booking one tour just in case. Too many nights spent this way though gives not much time to enjoy night times with each other as sometimes you dont get back from these tours until well into the early AM. One company that is well regarded is the superjeep.is this is their website and they get 5 stars from TA reviewers. http://www.superjeep.is/Excursions.aspx?id=10

Boston
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

Not sure yet - booking something with a focus on photography and going out a little further.

9. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, November 23, 2012
sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reykjavik in March 2013

Annette A , the super jeeps and the other smaller groups do focus on photography in the sense that they also take photos of the group with the lights in case your own photos dont show up as well,

Thorkell O thanks for that advice, but While it is great to be able to go out and do two or three day tours, many of us cannot either afford them money or time wise esp if we also want to see the area around the capitol, and the weather cant be guaranteed, so I have come to believe like all good advice given by the experts is to to do your best ( certainly Annette, Cynthia and ourselves are during that by being in Iceland for the March new moon, )and then deciding that good northern lights are still a bonus because you cannot control the rain, cloud etc.