We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

My husband and I are visiting Reykjavik for 3 nights in March with another couple. We want to go to the Blue Lagoon but our friends don't want to go in the water and they don't intend to use any of the spa facilities. Is it worth them coming ... to see the lagoon, walk, shop, eat etc...or not? Is there an admission charge for just being there on that kind of basis?

For me, as I do intend to go in the water...I have coloured hair and have read that the lagoon water can strip colour and make hair utterly unmanageable....What tips do people have to protect hair? Can I wear a cap..or spa turban type thing? People seem to recommend putting conditioner on hair before they go in the waters... can anyone clarify for me...apply conditioner to wet hair or dry before going in? do they allow this as it may be seen as a potential contaminant? Thank you for any help TA community!

Milano
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

There's no admission charge if you don't get into the pool / spa area, but it's worth the visit for sure, even from external you can have a nice view.

As you've got just three night, it seems a waste of time if they wait for you all along your relaxing time .... I suggest, if you / they have got a car, to take the chance to visit Seltùn geothermal area (about half an hour drive from BL).

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

The blue lagoon was crazy harsh on my hair even though I had slathered it with conditioner. I saw plenty of women wearing swim caps, I'd suggest one of those (and STILL use conditioner underneath it) Have a good time!

newton
Level Contributor
53 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

in response to your hair question: I have color treated light blonde hair. I have been to the Blue Lagoon three times. Each time I have covered my hair with conditioner and worn a terry cloth turbin. I don't stand directly under the waterfall but pretty close. I have never had any damage to my hair.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

Thank you to those who have replied...really appreciate the advice.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

I've coloured hair (dark) and used the conditioner before and after the lagoon and had no problems. I am 90% sure you put it on to your wet hair but can't be 100% sure but they provide conditioner anyway and instructions.

But I did keep my hair tied up so very little of it was actually exposed to the water and I didn't go under the waterfall although like the previous poster was close to it.

Edited: 11:02 am, November 10, 2012
Cork
Level Contributor
41 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

We spent about three hours at the Blue Lagoon, and more than two in the water - I don't think there's enough there to keep your friends occupied for that length of time! There's a restaurant and a cafe, both over-looking the lagoon itself, but it would be very boring for them.

You have to shower(including hair) before getting into the Lagoon itself, so put the conditioner onto your wet hair. I did, but didn't bother to keep my hair out of the water. It was pretty unmanageable for several days afterwards, but the colour (it's dyed a dark brown) was fine.

Hope this helps.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

Taking all this info on as me and my mom have dry hair and mines coloured !Did you all take flip flops for walking about or just have bare feet And do you automatically get a robe with the towel hire ?

Thanks x

Cork
Level Contributor
41 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

I brought flip flops for walking around the shower area, as I would with any pool.

From the point of view of being outdoors, there's only a very short walk, on decking, from the door to the lagoon.

While you're inside, the showers are in the changing rooms. From there, you come into a communal area, with a pool, and then go outdoors (you can also swim from the indoor pool to the lagoon).

We brought our own towels, and didn't bother hiring a robe. Robe hire was an extra nine euro, as far as I remember.

It was very wet and cold the evening we were there, and anyone who hung robes up outdoors came back to find them drenched!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

thanks for the info :)

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue lagoon, if not going in water? + a hair question?

Agree no need for robes. we didnt bother with flip flops but if you have room for them they would probably be useful but not essential