We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

Hello

How long is the trip by car to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon?

Is it worth the drive?

How much in petrol might it cost on average?

We are a family of 4 staying in Reykjavick children are 15 and 11.

Thanks

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

Ca 400 kilometres each way.

Petrol costs is currently around 250 ISK per liter. See here: gsmbensin.is/gsmbensin_web.php?language=en

It's definetely worth the drive! Provided the weather and road conditions are good at the time of travel. You'll drive past glaciers, waterfalls, beaches, mountains, sea cliffs, farmlands...

But yeah, it's a long trek. If you're thinking of a daytrip from Reykjavik then it's over 800 km which I would not recommend, at least definetely not in the winter. Better split in 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

The distance is 380 Km´s and takes around five hours to drive, non stop. Usually with essential stops it´s considered a ,,whole days tour"

Petrol usage depends on the vehicle, a ,,normal" family sedan might use about 35 litres one way. The liter is about 250 Isk.

A sensable drive to the glacier lagoon is always worth it.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

On the same minute !!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

Thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately we have already booked our stay in Reykjavik for a week so this trip would need to be complete within a day.

How long would you recommend we would need to have a good look around?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

We had our base in Reykjavik this summer(therefore in endless daylight). We went without a car for a couple of days. Then we took the earliest morning flight to Hofn (closest airport to the glacier lagoon) out of Reykjavik's domestic airport. In Hofn, we rented our car for the remaining duration of our stay in Iceland and spent the day driving back to Reykjavik while sightseeing along the way.

We saw a lot of interesting sights - glacier lagoon, waterfalls, puffins and the glaciers in the distance. We did not have time to explore the National Park (next time). There was one stretch of road that goes through lava fields - that part I found kind of tedious as it goes on for about an hour or more and very quickly loses its charm. It ended up being a long day. We got "home" around 9:30 pm. I am very glad we decided not to try driving there and back in one day.

I would recommend flying one way to anyone who wants to do a day trip to the glacier lagoon. IMO a visit to the glacier lagoon is totally worth the extra effort and expense. Really unlike anything I have seen elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
6. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, November 07, 2012
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

I notice that you never said which time of year you are traveling. But as has been said, if it's outside the spring - summer season then it's not really a realistic self-drive 1-day trip.

But if you can change your Reykjavik accommodation in order to allow you do spend one day near the Glacier Lagoon then you have a perfect 2 day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

The price of accommodation at the ice lagoon is half of the one in Reykjavik, so canceling one night in Reykjavik is not so bad. And even if you cant cancel, it´s still worth it rather than making it a one - day tour in the winter.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

Thank you all for the above replies

We are travelling at the end end of May 2013.

I will have a look into both the above options

of booking a one night accommodation near the lagoon where would your recommend for a family of four?

Or maybe flying to Hofn and driving back, we too were thinking of a part week car hire.

allpointsstar who did you book your flights with?

Mentioned in this post
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: driving to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon

We flew with Eagle Air. It is a small plane - holds maybe 20 or 30 people. I loved the checking in process which was no more complicated than taking the train. You need only arrive at the airport about half an hour before the scheduled flight time. No security checks.

Our flight was very smooth and on time (the Hertz representative who picked us up at the airport said you could set your watch by those flights).