We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

Hi Icelandic experts and travelers,

My husband and I are looking up various tour packages and tour operators for our 5 day trip coming up. Am I converting my ISK incorrectly... I'm finding the average tour to be in the 34,500 ISK and up per person. This roughly converts to $218 USD and up. Is this normal? Should I plan on spending between $200-$600 per person for an all day tour?

Can anyone suggest a more reasonable or budget friendly option for touring the island? We are open to renting a car but wanted to book something to to take us to see parts of the island accessible only by jeep or expert travelers. We're also open to touring all parts of Iceland.

GeoIceland Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Iceland Horizon
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Back to Iceland travel
Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Time Tours
Bus Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

I think it's the super jeep aspect of these trips that make them so expensive. There are cheaper options that don't mean a huge coach trip. Under the Reykjavic 'things to do' pages there's a tab for tours. I got a few ideas for smaller tours without the Super Jeep price tag. Eskimos and Iceland Horizons look good.

2. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:10 am, September 26, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

Having just returned from Iceland, my take is that the Super Jeep is much more expensive than the bus (probably due to fuel costs), and the number of people on the tour affects the cost as well. Fewer people = more expensive, but also usually more flexibility to take little detours and more time at various locations.

That said, Super Jeep tours are REALLY fun! I think you should do at least one. PM me if you want a recommendation.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

Thanks! I am checking out both Eskimo and Horizons.

West Kirby...
Level Contributor
71 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

Eskimo has my vote! :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

What about self guided tours where you rent a car and they make the lodge reservations for you each night and you keep moving . . .

Edited: 9:42 am, May 17, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

We are going end of July, has anybody gone then? is two weeks too long? is there anything that was disappointing -- that we should skip (that includes a bad restaurant besides area). Thanks!

Edited: 9:45 am, May 17, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

bustravel.is

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

no bus travel we are renting a car.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonably priced tours in Iceland

jenny d.. you will never get enough time in Iceland. I have been in July. The weather is unpredictable anytime from what I have seen. There are various tour operators and some have been mentioned. I like www.tour.is and have used their services several times in the past, and I am again this year for my 4th visit. Ingi the owner and his staff and his colleagues are experts. If you choose to look you will see they offer all types of tours, self drive, bus both long and short, and private guides. You would not be disappointed. Their costs are shown in Euro. Take a look and just soak it it all up. Enjoy