We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

I am wanting to travel to Iceland to see the Northern Lights this year. I was thinking about Nov/Dec time (as I have heard that Oct thru to March is a good 'window' for this). As I am travelling from Australia I want to be fairly sure that I see them at least once in around 2 weeks in Iceland. (I will base myself in Reykjavik - but do trips from there to other parts of Iceland) What are my chances?....Or would early 2013 be a better time (March?).....How cold is it in Nov? ....Cheers!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

Hi,

I'm also from Australia, I'm going in September as the weather is better than the months of October-Feb. As for the chance to see aurora, the best months are generally September/March with September less icy.

Will you be interested in joining a shared tour with me on Iceland Aurora photo tours?

http://icelandaurora.com/tours/

reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189970-d1…

By joining a shared tour we can split the costs and you'll be guaranteed the best photos possible as long as the weather permits. Please let me know soon because I need to start booking airfares.

Thanks

Aaron

Perth
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

I can't get leave in Sept - so not an option for me! : (

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

If you stay for two weeks, and are willing to travel, I´d say your chances are 100% ! And maybe 110% if you make sure you are here around new moon instead of full moon, when the brightness of the moon can influence the sighting of the lights.

You can do it on your own, if you have a rental car, but if you want a tour, the ,,Northern lights emperor" and his friends are the best in the business.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

We are going in the end of August...Is it even possible to see them? I don't want a waste a night if our chances are slim to none.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

End of August this year (2012) will be good for Northern lights.

Even though there is full moon on Aug. 31, the moon will be down under before midnight until Aug. 27, so until then it will have little effects on viewing the Northern lights.

It gets worse after the 27., when the moon is up all night, and makes the night sky to bright.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

So we will want to try to view the lights either the 26th or 27th. I was in Iceland a few years ago and did not get to see the lights.

Perth
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

Thank you!! : )

Belgium
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

Is this the link to the Northern Lights Emperor?

icelandguide.is/guides/2006/05/boerkur_hrolf…

We are also going to Iceland next year and really hope to see the Northern Lights. Any help would be appreciated with who to use. THanks.

Bergvliet, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

HI,

I found this info really helpful. We are going to be in Iceland from the 9th Aug - 19th Aug 2012, do you think we have a chance of seeing the Northern Lights? We will be our furthest north in Akureyri on the 14th/15th August. Is there a place to find out more about sightings? My parents are flying out from South Africa and the Northern Lights have always been on their wish list, but we kinda figured that in August we had no chance of seeing them! Lets hope we get lucky!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Lights in Iceland 2012/(13)?

There is a ,,new moon" on August 17. so there is pretty good chance to see the lights, specially if you are in the north.

This photo was taken by ,,the Northern lights Emperor" on August 15. two years ago: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…