We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography sites

Isle of Man
4 posts
Save Topic
Photography sites

I shall be in Iceland for a week as of the first of April. I would like to capture the spirit of Iceland through photography. Where are good places to go? should I hire a car?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography sites

The best site I've found is www.mats.is!

Yes - hire a car.

Good places to go? Well, much will depend on the light - it can be overcast. I have been to a couple of places which are superb - Jokulsjarlon (the iceberg lake, seen in Bond movies); Skaftafell Park with its mountains and glaciers,; Vik for its black sand beach and Atlantic rollers and puffins; the Snaefellness peninsula; Thingvellir to see where America and Europ are coming apart.....

But in all honesty, apart from the suburbs of Reykjavik, my car journeys were punctuated by stops every couple of miles to take in the amazing landscapes and unfeasibly pretty churches and farms.

Huge lava fields; cod drying at the side of the road; rainbows, et, etc.

Oh and the bell tower in the Hallsgrimmkja church has views of about 100km (you see further in Iceland because of the clean, cold air.)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,084 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography sites

peterscot is right - I would go on to say that almost the entire country is one big photo-op.

The light is fantastic, esp if you get sunny days. Because there's a lot of geothermal power, there's not much air pollution, and the quality of the light is astonishing. If you use film, you'll find a polarising or skylight filter helps even more to give remarkable clarity.

Stop at Seljalandsfoss to walk behind the waterfall and get some shots, definitely visit the beaches near Vik, get close to the waterfalls Barnafoss and Svartifoss (the latter is at Skaftafell). Lake Myvatn might be snowy at this time of year, but it's beautiful, and the eastern fjords offer the mountains and hills on one side and the crashing sea on the other.

Be patient at Geysir, and you'll get a fab shot of Strokkur bursting out of the earth - worth the (potentially) chilly, windy wait.

Have a swell trip, and good luck.

Isle of Man
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography sites

How can I thank you enough?

You have given me some great ideas and Im already there in my mind. Cant wait to get there now.

Many Many thanks to you both.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography sites

Have to agree- just about anywhere you go in Iceland is a photo op. Be sure to get to Gullfoss waterfall. Well worth a visit- pretty impressive waterfalls.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography sites

All of Iceland is photoworthy! From waterfalls to volcanoes, black sand, so much natural beauty!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography sites

The entire country is a photographer's

dream. Don't miss Blue Lagoon, you will

feel like you have arrived on Mars, no

trees, just rock. I would recommend that

you rent a car and do some exploring, many

scenic places, like the falls, gysers and

other roadsite stops that will be

Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography sites

agree with everyone, Iceland is really a photographer's dream, we know that every country that we go after this will have to suffer the benchmark of the amazing quality and variety of pics that we captured in our Iceland trip.

Top of my not to be missed is Jokulsarlon, just MAGICAL.

See some of our pics at our travelogue at www.bigbigplanet.com

Cheers, SM