We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed Itinerary - Realistic or not?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed Itinerary - Realistic or not?

This is what i've come up with as an itinerary for our trip in late April. Can any of the experts or previous visitors give me an opinion on whether this is reasonable or not? I am worried that we may spend the whole time driving with no time to see the place.

However, I should say that we are going for the sights, not the city and we are used to driving/touring holidays...

We plan to stiop in HI Hostels throughout.

Thursday, arrive at 10.40pm - straight to Njardvik hostel.

Friday - golden circle and on to Laugarvatn hostel.

Saturday - the south coast, Skaftafell, Jokulsarlon and on to Hofn hostel.

Sunday - Godafoss and upto Akureyri.

Monday - to Reykjavik.

Tuesday - Blue Lagoon and fly out in the afternoon.

GeoIceland Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Back to Iceland travel
Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
CityWalk Reykjavik
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Iceland Horizon
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Realistic or not?

Hey - forget that itinerary. I've just done some maths!

How about:

Thursday - Njarðvík

Friday - Laugarvatn after Gullfos, Geysir, Thingvellir

Saturday - long drive to Hofn

Sunday - Vik after Skaftafell, Jokulsarlon

Monday - Reyjkavik and around town

Tuesday - Blue Lagoon then on to the airport.

Any better?

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Realistic or not?

Hey, it might be realistic but maybe not so necessary. Me and my two kids just did a tour over 6 days (1 day wasted in Rekyavic) did the Geysir, gulfoss, Thinglevellir then over to Reykholt and onwards again to Snaefellness peninsular.

Reykholt was 'shut' but snaefellness is worth the drive.. wish I had spent more time on the Reykanes peninsular (near the airport).

We stayed in Foss hotels....they put together a good deal.

dont forget to keep your tank full......drove nearly two hours on empty on the way back from Olafsvic!!!

Marvellous country though definately going back

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Realistic or not?

I did a similar trip to your second itinerary about 2 years ago. Allow time to walk up the hill at Skaftafell for the views - glaciers both sides and the sand sea stretching for miles.

I would second Snaefellsness (just retruned from long weekend there), but not sure you can fit it and Hofn in.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Realistic or not?

Hm. Getting to Hofn might be a bit much, unless you have your heart set on getting up to Vatnajokull to do a bit of snowmobiling. It's a long slog, and instead of just booting it, you might want to spend more time at Skaftafell, esp taking the time to get to Svartifoss.

Snaefellsness is also a treat, or a bit further east, towards Reykholt, into saga country.

You might not be able to get it all into one trip, so you'll just have to spend the time on the flight home planning your next visit.