We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, New York
8 posts
Save Topic
Iceland

Hi,

I wonder if there is any free parking space around centerhotel skjaldbreid in reykjavik, iceland?

and also, what are the must see between reykjavik and akureyri?

Thanks

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
117 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland

We found lots of on-street free parking in Reykjavik. Absolutely no issues there. We stayed at the Centerhotel Klopp and got a spot immediately in front of our hotel. If not, there are some free spaces down near the dock area (we passed a large lot). Just adhere to the signs, which are are well marked.

Between Akureyri and Reykjavik, we'd recommend:

1) Eiriksstadir – the original home of Erik the Red, father of Leifur Eiriksson (seasonal)

2) Pingeyrakirkja church

3) Vidimyrarkirja – a church dating from 1836, although a church has been on this site since the 1100s

4) The valley and mountain pass between Akureyri and Varmahlid is quite pretty.

Here's our blog on our Iceland trip, if it helps you with your planning:

…blogspot.com/search/label/Iceland

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland

The main road between Reykjavik and Akureyri is by locals often considered quite dull. However if you are prepared to take little detours here and there, you'll find many wonderful gems and interestiing villages & museums along the way.

Do a little google search on these sites:

Hvítserkur - rock column by the sea.

Borgarvirki - natural cliff/rock fortress.

The Icelandic Seal Center (museum).

The textile museum.

The Icelandic emigration museum.

Grabrok - a 170m high crater right next to the main road.

Kolugljúfur - quite impressive river gorge.

Kálfshamarsvík - interesting basalt column formations by the sea, a lighthouse & ruins of abandoned village.

The whole Skagafjordur fjord.

Grettislaug - stone built hot spring right by the ocean, it's free to soak in the hot water.

Glanni waterfall & Paradísarlaut.

Vatnsdalsholar.

It's well worth it to spend time exploring the Borgarfjordur area, there you'll find:

* Hraunfossar waterfalls - an underground river escapes from underneath an old lava field.

* Reykholt - Historical site, church and Snorralaug hot spring (not suitable for baths though).

* Deildartunguhver - the hotspring with the highest volume of water-flow in Europe.

Husafell.

Those are some of the highlights of this large area. This is definetely not a finite list.

More details for example here: www.northwest.is

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland

Helpful post. Thanks Northice!

New York, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland

Please help with my itinerary,

Day 1 - Arrive at KEFat 7 AM, pick up rental car then head to the blue lagoon, walk around reykjavik city for the rest of the day, overnight in Reykjavik,

Day 2 - Golden circle, overnight at Reykjavik

Day 3 - Drive from Reykjavik to Akureyri, make a few stops along the way, over night at Akureyri.

Day 4 - Lake Myvatn area then drive to breiddalsvik, overnight at breiddalsvik

Day 5 - Drive to Jarkulsarlon and Skaftafell national park the overnight at Vik,

Day 6 - Drive from Vik to Reykjavik, few stops along the way.

Day 7 - walk around reykjavik, then leave from KEF at 5 PM

Is this doable? and what is the must see around the ring road, we will be on a 2WD, and dont want to stray too far from the ring road.

Edited: 7:50 pm, February 07, 2012
New York, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland

Oh i forgot to mention, this is a trip from May 19 to the 26th

New York, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iceland

thank you very much, they are all great sights.

New York City, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iceland

I see no replies to your questions? Did you get responnses? Did the itinerary work?

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Iceland

The Icelandic Emigration Center in Hofsos is a must if you have Icelandic heritage and are American or Canadian. The genealogy data is amazing....I found my whole family back to and before my great grandparents came to North Dakota in the late 1800s when famine and volcanoes drove so any Icelanders to the New World.

9. Re: Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 27, 2014