We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car for 3 nights/4 days in Reykjavik?

Nrb
Baltimore
5 posts
Save Topic
Rental car for 3 nights/4 days in Reykjavik?

We booked the Iceland Air "Midweek Madness" package but upgraded to a hotel in the center of the city, for late March. Should we rent a car? Our plans so far are undetermined, but include the Blue Lagoon. I generally prefer exploring on my own to a bus tour - is a rental car a good idea for this short a time?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car for 3 nights/4 days in Reykjavik?

If you have an independent streak, a car will add a lot to your trip, as it gives you a much greater degree of freedom and control of your time.

Driving in Iceland is straightforward, with good signs and markings. By late March the weather should not pose any problems for driving.

As you may know, your flight will arrive in KEF early in the morning. The airport is about an hour from downtown Reykjavik, so you normally get to a hotel about 8am or so. Many times, the hotel will not have a room ready for you yet, so if you have a car, you can head out on your own.

Nothing worse that wanting to see the country, but have to wait 4 hrs in the hotel lobby to check in.

If you price cars, you will find them to be expensive. Check out www.icelandexpress.com. Budget is offering a discount on small cars.

You most definitely will have fun.

Nrb
Baltimore
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car for 3 nights/4 days in Reykjavik?

Thank you. I'm fairly comfortable driving just about anywhere - except Asian cities. We're planning on taking a sleeping pill on the plane and hitting the ground running! First vacation in three years!

Norway
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car for 3 nights/4 days in Reykjavik?

I went to Iceland in December and rented a car on the airport. I think it was Budget or Hertz, but I can´t remember. I booked a car before I left, so I could just pick it up when I arrived, even though I arrived a bit early.

Driving in Iceland is no problem. The only thing I remember as being a bit dificult was the road signs with all those unfamiliar letters.

People are driving fast, but you can go in your own speed, they will just pass you.