We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

Hello,

I'm going to Reykjavik and southern Iceland in middle of November. What kind of shoes do you guys recommend? I would imagine there's a lot of ice and things freezing so it would be slippery. I'll be renting a car so would be driving around, taking pictures and stuff.

I also signed up for this tour: https:/…

I prefer to have one pair of all-around shoes/boots that I can wear, so I don't have to change in and out of different pairs.

Sorry for the dumb question...I saw lot of threads on what to wear, but not much in terms of shoes.

Thanks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

Good shoes for slush, something like this: hiking-gear-and-equipment-used-for-camping.c… Or us-parks.com/hiking-boots-and-hiking-shoes-g…

Just make sure they´re waterproof (GoreTex)

B-)

NYC
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

Sorel boots are great and not very expensive. Work in the Bering Sea, Alaska's North Slope, and Iceland.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

Thanks for the quick responses.

I do have a pair of Timberland boots. But I don't know what model it is. I just took a quick look, there's a small tag on it that says waterproof. So I guess I'm good to go?

For some reason, I thought I needed shoes with spikes on the bottom or something that's more hardcore.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

I found my Timberland boots on their website: shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp…

From the user reviews, most seems OK. But from the product description, it's doesn't use GoreTex. And seems like a everyday kinda boots.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

We will also be traveling to Iceland the week of Nov 20 and would like to take only 1 pair of boots/shoes. We will be doing the usual Northern Lights tours, Golden Circle and Walking on a Glacier. We have Sorel waterproof, insulated boots from our travels to northern Norway in Jan and they worked great. Never had cold feet, even with temps down to -28.

Will these suffice for the trip?

I have found a pair of Bogs Ru insulated rain shoes

rei.com/product/820814/bogs-rue-insulated-ra…

and wonder if they would be a good idea as an additional pair IF we have room. I would use these for the Golden Circle and walking around Reykjavik.

Thanks

Ann

NYC
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

Your Sorel's were made for a trip like this. Just take out the liners so they can dry out over night if you will be wearing them everyday.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

I have a great pair of Merrell hiking shoes that are Gore Tex and waterproof, but I'm worried about whether a hiking shoe is high enough on the ankle to keep out slush if we encounter that. I'll be in Iceland Oct 31st til November 3rd. Will the goretex shoes be enough? Or do I need 3/4 or even boots? My travel guide tells me I'll be fine if I don't want to buy and bring additional boots. But we'll be doing a LOT of outdoor hiking etc... What do you guys think? Should I invest in a higher shoe or boot?

Or will it be mostly just what's falling down from the sky, as opposed to slushy accumulation on the ground?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

I thought the purpose of 3/4 high or higher boots is to give ankle support? So I would imagine that if you're pretty comfortable doing out door hikes in withouth 3/4 or higher boots, you would be OK??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

Ankle support is only one benefit. The other is being able to step in puddles, mud or slush and not have it all run into your waterproof shoe from the opening at the ankle.

So I'm trying to figure out whether that is an aspect/condition that I'll be facing next week or not.

Because no matter how waterproof a shoe IS, you can't keep the water out of the top of the shoe if your foot becomes submerged. But if I'll just be dealing with rain and splash, the hiking shoes will probably be fine... Mud and slush and puddles and high wet grasses, etc, will probably have me wishing that I had gone with a 3/4 or boot.

Bimingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Nov?

Hi. I've noticed this tread and I too am going to Iceland at the end of November. I have a couple of pairs of regular walking boots, one are ankle boots and the others are mid-ankle (slightly shorter). I also have Henly Hansen knee hight snow boots and moon boots. Which will be the best option? Thanks.