We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping? Yes or No?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
2 posts
Save Topic
Tipping? Yes or No?

What is the consensus on tipping in general? Is tipping necessary or not? Do you tip in restaurants/clubs/bars/etc.?

What about taxis? I've heard that you generally don't have to tip for any of the above. Please clarify this for me. Thanks in advance.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping? Yes or No?

Don't tip. Nowhere. It's not expected and service fee's are always included in the bill. Icelanders will accept tips if offered because most of them are well travelled themselves and they know how the tipping system works in other countries.

Things are expensive enough as it is:)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping? Yes or No?

The times I've taken taxis, I've given the drivers the exact fare and the drivers have opened the cab doors for me and lifted out my luggage before thanking me for the trip.

It is quite wonderful.

Florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping? Yes or No?

No tipping. The first day I was there I wasn't sure but no one expects to be tipped.

Nrb
Baltimore
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping? Yes or No?

Quick question - is tipping *insulting* (as it can be in Japan) or just not normal? It hard for me not to tip (being American), but when in Rome... I am, however, more worried that my better half will automatically tip when we're sightseeing seperately, and I'm hoping that he won't cause an international incident!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping? Yes or No?

No it's not insulting. Icelanders will almost always accept a tip if offered. But that's only because they know how tipping works in other countries. They never ever expect it.

Nrb
Baltimore
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping? Yes or No?

Thank you TaraTara. It's good to know we won't accidentally offend anyone!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping? Yes or No?

There are TV adverts in England for HSBC. The series of ads are based on etiquette in other countries. They have one on tipping in Iceland. The restaurant customers leave a tip and the waitress ignores it. The customers think she expects more and so put more money down. Waitress ignores this so customers put more down ......