We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relative expense US$

Mentor, Ohio
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
relative expense US$

Can someone who's been there tell me the US equivalent cost in Iceland of a dinner out for two, a cup of coffee, a hotel overnight, a laundromat load, a ladies haircut, a pair of shoes, a glass of wine, a Big Mac?

I realize taxes, transportation, and other variables figure in, but Im trying to assess the relative expense of a weekend, given low cost Icelandair flights. And by what percentage does is vary, winter to summer?

thanx

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relative expense US$

Heya,

Dinner for two can run from 70.00 to 300.00 US. It would be hard to find dinner out at a sit down resterant for less that. Based on those prices relatively speaking for the same quality meal US vs Iceland I think you could double the price.

In general if you just double everthing I think you would be ok. That may be a little exageration but not much...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,900 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relative expense US$

The price of dinner for two will certainly depend on where you dine. You can spend as much or as little as you like, but you're not likely to get much change out of $US75 for two at a basic resto. Coffee at a cafe will cost 200 ISK and up, and coffee at a grocery store will cost between 80-100 ISK (stores often have a pot near the tills, and you pay the cashier).

Hotels - you can pay 6700 ISK at the Hotel Cabin, 12,500-16,500 ISK for a room at the Hotel Borg, or 7500 ISK for a double room without bath at the Ugly Duckling Guesthouse.

Hotels are expensive. If you want to go for a long weekend, you could consider a short stay apartment, as having a kitchen will cut down considerably on the cost of eating out.

No idea about the price of a haircut, and the nearest McDonald's to the city centre is in Kringlan shopping centre - you'd do better with Icelandic hot dogs from a cart, at about 500 ISK. Can't recall seeing launderettes in RKV, but they must exist.

Prices will drop from about October to April, but that's an approximate. Doubling everything is a good place to start, and if any prices are less, then it's a treat.

ewb
USA
Level Contributor
195 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relative expense US$

We never got by without spending 100 bucks. Wife and I would split a coke. Never drank any booze, and was amazed by the prices. We have traveled extensively, Bermuda, Anguilla, Bahamas, Nevis, Paris, London, and no place has been expensive as Iceland; however, with that said, we can't wait to get back.

Ed

Florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relative expense US$

Okay just got back. Went out drinking the first night and it was insane. I mean we had like 6 drinks and it ended up costing us 100 usd. DEFINATELY hit the Duty Free on the way there and find a grocery store and buy mixers if you plan on drinking. We were at a couple of bars and beers were like 10-15 dollars. Not worth it.

As for food the best priced place we went to was Cafe Paris, good food and you could get out of there for lunch of ham and cheese croissant and beverage for 2 people for about 40 dollars.

You'll see fast food places but they aren't cheap there. In a magazine we found the conversion of things and it's like 45.00 for a large pizza from Dominos 65.00 for the family meal at KFC, so don't see these places and think you've found your cheap answer.

We went there because it was cheap enough to get there and to stay there. But every single meal, drink, snack you consume will be sticker shock. If you have free hotel breakfast TAKE ADVANTAGE of it.