We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Heimaey Island

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Duxbury...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Airport to Heimaey Island

Will be staying at Hotel Lofteleider. Is this near the airport that one would use to fly to Heimaey Island? Thanks.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Heimaey Island

Yes, Hótel Loftleiðir is at Reykjavík Domestic Airport

Flights to the Westman Islands / Heimaey are now operated by Eagle Air http://eagleair.is/ which is located directly behind Hótel Loftleiðir.

Anyone reading this post who is planning a flight on Air Iceland / Flugfélag Íslands should note that their operations are from the opposite side of the airport, a five minute taxi ride from Hótel Loftleiðir.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Heimaey Island

At the prices they are charging I am blooming glad I went a few weeks ago when it was still operated by Air Iceland - I don't think much of their website either - you can't even book online ! Next time I am going from Bakki !

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Heimaey Island

Ah, I did note a serious discrepancy regarding the former and present fees. I was wondering if I had misread it but hadn't had a chance to double check, Add in the weak dollar versus the euro and the price truly soars. Why don't these companies use the Iceland currency?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Heimaey Island

It is so easy to travel to the Wetman islands now. Take the ferry to the islands at 09:00, and the last one back at 20:00 or 21:00

The price for the car is 1500 Isk. and 1000 Isk. for each person.

But remember!, the drive from Reyjavik to the ferry is 2 hours, and you have to be there half hour before departure, so leave Reykjavik 2.5 hours before departure !

eimskip.com/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-378/

B-)

Edited: 3:51 pm, August 08, 2010
Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Heimaey Island

The prices are different because the state does not subsidise the airfare anymore, now that the new ferry port is operational.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Heimaey Island

And also of course that not everyone has a car ... Fortunately there are busses as well nat.is/travelguideeng/bus_stop_hella_hvolsvo…

Edited: 4:40 am, August 09, 2010
7. Re: Airport to Heimaey Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 06, 2011