We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland and Ireland in 7 days!!

Sterling...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Iceland and Ireland in 7 days!!

My daughter, a friend and I are doing a whirlwind university tour of Iceland and Ireland in January. The girls really want to study abroad, preferably in Iceland, so we're flying there first, spending Saturday morning through Wednesday morning in Reykjavik and then flying to Dublin until Sunday morning. We hope to visit the University of Iceland and the Iceland Academy of the Arts, and then Griffih, UCD and Trinity in Dublin. BUT we also want to cram as much sightseeing and nightlife as we can in the days/nights. After reading various posts, I'm leaning towards not renting a car in Reykjavik and doing a couple of the adventure excursions - Northern Lights? Golden Circle? Any suggestions/recommendations - we have little money and I know Iceland is expensive. And Dublin, where to begin? time for a day trip outside the city, I hope? INput appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland and Ireland in 7 days!!

A whirlwind trip, indeed. But you will have time for some sightseeing in Iceland, I think.

Reykjavik cards might do you well - 2250 ISK for 72 hours (not three calendar days) will give you unlimited local bus service, which is considerably cheaper than taking taxis around RKV.

The University is a bit south and west of the city centre, but there are buses that go there. Is the Academy of the Arts on Skipholt? If it's where I'm thinking, then it's just a bit east of the city centre, and not far from Hlemmur bus station.

Since there will be three of you, an apartment might be a better deal than a hotel (even though you get breakfast at a hotel), as eating out can be costly - have a look at www.hotel.is for some info on lodging. And yes, do try to get into the countryside for a day or day and a half, even if it's just the Golden Circle and/or South Coast highlights - RKV is a nice little city, but the surrounding country is fantastic, like nothing else you've seen.

Have never been to Ireland, so can't help you with that, but you should be able to find a few thing there to amuse you, if what I hear is true.

Have a great time.

northern ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland and Ireland in 7 days!!

You'll love Dublin as will the girls particularly if they are anything like me and enjoy a spot of shopping. A good site to visit for Dublin information is the Dublin official tourism board on www.visitdublin.com

Everything you'll need to know about events and you can also buy maps and guide books which are very useful.

Hope this helps - enjoy your trip!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,400 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland and Ireland in 7 days!!

Hi there, I think you need to post on the Dublin forum as well. You will get lots of ideas.

Day Trips from Dublin could include a visit to Glendalough in Wicklow www.wicklow.com/glendalough/

or the Hill of Tara and Knowth www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites

But MullMick, our Dublin Expert, and others will have some wonderful ideas for you.

Take Care.

Sterling...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland and Ireland in 7 days!!

Thanks. Good points, all. I'm thinking of the Atlantis in Reykjavik, do a lot of convenience store eating. Hope they have space for us!