We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sad Cars rentals

W\Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Sad Cars rentals

Has anyone used Sad Cars? I was looking on Google for a rental car in September and I found Sad Cars. They say their cars are about 10 years old and well maintained. The cost is about a third of what other car companies are.

Please let me know.

225 replies to this topic
Scotland
Level Contributor
102 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sad Cars rentals

Yes, I had exactly the same thought. Car hire does seem to be very expensive, so it would be good to hear if anyone has any experience ?

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sad Cars rentals

I was wondering the same thing. Anyway know anything about SAD Car Rentals? From the website they sound like a good deal, but I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
55 posts
595 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sad Cars rentals

Me four. Sounds like a great deal if they're for real.

nyc
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sad Cars rentals

I highly recommend it! We just used it first week of May. 2010.

We rented a 4x4 Honda to drive around less traveled roads in Iceland. The car was great. It performed perfectly and cost literally 1/4 price of regular rentals. The company is new and small, and operates outside of the airport. But if you make a reservation in advance they will come to get you when you arrive. People are very friendly and super helpful. They also do tours (as we later discovered) with 'super-jeep' like vehicles. We did not know - but will definitely try next time.

Hope this helps.

nyc
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sad Cars rentals

The cars are used but seem very reliable - we had no problems and we really were out and about some seriously messed up roads. If you plan on doing middle of nowhere exploring just make sure you always start with a full gas tank - you can even buy an extra one in N1. ALSO !!!! make sure your cell works - just in case. We had no phone and relied entirely on the car - made it back in one piece and will do it again :).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sad Cars rentals

We rented a 4x4 from SAD cars last week and were very pleased with the service and the car. Definitely get the GPS but don't depend on it entirely. The road signs to sites are really well marked so it's easy to get to where you want to go. The GPS may direct you to some off-road driving but will usually ultimately get you to where you want to go as well.

The rental was in pretty good condition; we didn't need fancy, just rugged. If you pre-pay you can save 15% which is a nice perk. They pick you up at the airport and will take you back when you leave. I would use them again and would recommend them to friends.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sad Cars rentals

also check out http://www.cheapjeep.is and compare.. pretty sure they are cheaper but might be fully booked over the summer..

Kopavogur, Iceland
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sad Cars rentals

Look at happycampers.is not so cheap but you will get 4x4 or 2x4 and you dont have to pay for expensive hotels.

So over all not so expensive.

Hope it helps.

Hawk

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
13 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sad Cars rentals

Unfortunately my experience with the company was not as good. We were given a car which was in a very bad shape. Actually I think it was unsafe to drive and not in accordance with the minimum standards set by Icelandic law.

Damages we were able to notice whilst driving the car included the following:

- door seals come off

- fuel tank leaks

- engine doesn't start reliably

- windshield wipers do not work properly

- windshiled is scratched (apparently from long term malusage and not due to our use!)

- stone chipping in the windshield (existed before we started driving the car!)

- broken and taped (!) front fog lamp

- front bumper rusted through (had to be fixed in the workshop)

- electricity failure (had to be fixed in the workshop)

- dashborad illumination broken ( thus we could not see the speed we were travelling in tunnels!)

- broken fuel filter (had to be replaced in the workshop)

- weird noises at about 90 km/h

- noises at full steering lock

- various dents and scratches (which is ok for a car about 12-15 yrs old, but the damages were not reported in contract form)

We spent many hours in workshops. In the end the company debited my credit card for the broken windshield. Other customers who dropped off their car the same day were not too happy either.

Moreover there wasn't anybody to await us at the airport as had been negotiated before. We had to call them and wait for quite a while. Not too nice when arriving late at night.

So be careful about doing business with them and make sure you make a proper check- up of the car before you leave their premises!

Also make sure to have a functioning mobile as we had to call the company several times. It really is an adventure though, as you never know, if the car will actually be able to take once around the island.

Good luck!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sad Cars rentals

Sirerrki,

I assume you´re talking about SAD cars !

But what did you expect ? It is a cheap rental (the lowest price you found), and the name is ,,sad cars"!!

So don´t be sad, the car was exactly what was to expect ! Sad!

B-)

Reply to: Sad Cars rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted