We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarians????

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarians????

Thinking about Reykjavik in June next year (have just worked out I can do it a lot cheaper than I expected) but my best friend who I'd be travelling with is vegetarian. Is this likely to be a major problem in Rekjavik?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,340 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarians????

Not really. For a country that has a huge fishing industry and offers lamb on almost every menu, as well as being a place that's near the Arctic, you'd think veg would be thin on the ground, but thank goodness they're not.

There are plenty of greenhouses all over Iceland, so fresh veg are available and tasty. Almost every cafe and resto offer a vegetable soup (asparagus is v common), or your friend could order a vegetable dish without too much trouble. If your friend eats fish, he or she will be very happy and content, too.

HSH
Iceland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarians????

You and your friend should try these two restaurants in the centrum of Reykjavik.

http://www.anaestugrosum.is/efni.asp?n=48

www.graennkostur.is/graennkostur/english/

Regard,

HSH

Reykjavik

London
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarians????

HTH - thank you very much for your vegetarian restaurant suggestions. They look very good from their websites.

Although my husband and I do eat fish a true vegetarian restaurant will be a welcome change!

London
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarians????

Sorry...should have been HSH!