We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Iceland

Norwood, NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Iceland

Does anyone had experience with Geysir Car Rental? I am thinking of renting a car for a portion of my time in Iceland this summer.

319 replies to this topic
Gampaha
2 posts
Save Reply
121. Re: Car rental in Iceland

This is a great site.

Bingley, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
122. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Just wanted to know from someone who has hired a car in Iceland-the best deal/company to go for-we only their for 4 days-plus any advice for driving in Iceland-thanks Phil

TSO
POULTON .LANCS.
Level Contributor
100 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
123. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Try Hertz believe they have a special offer on at present

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
124. Re: Car rental in Iceland

We hired with Geysir in August 2012 and they were great. no problem at all. substantial upgrade at no extra cost. free drop off at airport at no extra charge.

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
125. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Just got back from an amazing trip to Iceland. This site was very helpful for me to choose a car rental outfit, so I thought Id return the favor. After looking through reviews and comparing prices, we decided to go with Geysir. We only required a smaller car (two of us) for two days to go from Reykjavik to Hofn, then back with a drop off at Kef airport. I booked a Peugeot 206 with the following options: Reyk. hotel drop off, Super CDW, Gravel Protection, GPS. The car was dropped off on time at our Reyk. apt. we were renting. The Peugeot wasnt availible so they had a new Hyundai i20 for us. The car showed up very clean and in great condition. A few small paint chips that the Geysir rep was very helpful in pointing out during the pre-inspection check - even noted some that I didnt. Geysir rep was very friendly and efficient with getting us on our way. The car worked our perfect for what we required, GPS worked fantastic and is highly recommended (even if your trip seems like a simple ring road trip). Upon return, it was a quick post inspection with no issues and the Geysir rep drove us to the main gate at Kef airport. All in all, fantastic experiance with Geysir.

York, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
126. Re: Car rental in Iceland

I rented from Geysir a couple of weeks ago and have no complaints. I rented a jeep wrangler for a week and drove around half of the country. The car was definitely older with a few dents and dings but I didn't care because it got me where I wanted to go. I would definitely recommend getting gravel insurance as I had several stones hit the car when I was driving which could have easily broken the windshield. If you are traveling on the ring road or main secondary roads then a 4X4 is not necessary. I drove on many different roads and I only needed a 4X4 a couple of times. As with all of Europe gas will cost you dearly. I payed around $8 a gallon and spent about $500 for the week in gas. I would recommend Geysir but as I have learned in the past take pictures of the car when you pick up and make sure their damage report is accurate.

Reykjavik, Iceland
8 posts
Save Reply
127. Re: Car rental in Iceland

First I think it would be best to consider what you want to see, you would not want to rent small 2wd if you want to go a bit beyond the asphalt road. In Iceland there are so many amazing sights that you need an 4x4 to see. I recommend to hire 4x4 as the pricing is not that hugely more expensive than on an small 2wd also you can explore the F roads ( mountain roads) that is forbidden to do in most 2wd rental cars. I would recommend icerental4x4.is they only rent out 4x4 cars in different sizes.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
128. Re: Car rental in Iceland

I really recommend Red Car Rental (https://www.redcar.is/) if you want to travel in Iceland! You'll get everything you expect from a good car rental: reasonable prices, no hidden costs!!, good cars (from cheap 2W to luxury 4W), perfect services and a very friendly staff.

They are located in the bus terminal of Reykjavik, so you avoid all the craziness of renting a car at the airport, and the bus tickets are free for all the Red clients.

We've rented the cheapest 4W they offered to travel around Iceland last October, and were very happy (which is rare for a car rental company!). They gave us useful tips to avoid damages due to bad weather,

(and thus paying a lot more!).

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
129. Re: Car rental in Iceland

And if you rent from some companies, this might be the result: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
130. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Just come back from an amazing trip in Iceland. Finding the right car rental company can be challenging in this beautiful but nonetheless expensive country. Despite September being the off season, prices from Hertz and Sixt were too expensive for us for 10 days.

Red Car Rental (https://www.redcar.is/) is one the best alternative if you want to rent a car from Reykjavik. Amazing prices, good range of cars and Jeeps and also three types of insurance and covering (from standard to premium - especially useful if you're planning to go south with dust storms causing damages ont the paint).The staff is really nice and another plus ; you got free tickets from Reyjkavik to the airport for your way back.

The Dacia Duster from Red Car was perfect for our 10 days roadtrip around Iceland and gave us flexibility to to go off the beaten track.

Give it a try!

Reply to: Car rental in Iceland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted