We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Iceland

Norwood, NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
99 reviews
Car rental in Iceland

Does anyone had experience with Geysir Car Rental? I am thinking of renting a car for a portion of my time in Iceland this summer.

365 replies to this topic
Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
115 reviews
1. Re: Car rental in Iceland

We used them just this past summer for 7 days. We rented a Mazda3 and put on 2200 kms. We got them to drop it off at our guesthouse for an additional fee and then we dropped the car off at their location in Keflavik. We took a taxi from there to the airport. I have to say they were great. The young man who dropped off the car recorded existing damage while I took pictures (for our protection). When we went to drop the vehicle off we asked them about a good restaurant close by that we could walk to. They told us just to take the car for another couple hours if we wanted and then they called a taxi for us when we returned. They were friendly and easy to deal with. And...no bad suprises like some other folks have had with their rentals. I would have no hesitation recommending them based on our experience. Enjoy Iceland, it is fabulous!

Norwood, NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
99 reviews
2. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Thanks for the information. Happy New Year.

Poznan
5 posts
3. Re: Car rental in Iceland

I am planning to spend few days of my summer in Iceland too, but those prices...!!!

I checked out many companies (Geysir too), but all those prices are sky high. You can have a car in Spain for a week for 200 Euro, but here you have to pay 400-500+!!!

I found www.iceland-car-rental.com with some reasonable prices, but they do not have brand new cars.

Can anyone give more advices?

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
4. Re: Car rental in Iceland

I have booked a week-long rental with Geysir this May.

I am expecting to simply walk to their 'Keflavik Office' from the airport terminal when I arrive, although I am having difficulty locating it.

As far as I know, they are located in a new building just west of the airport car park but it is not shown on google, or on their website.

Is it within walking distance?

Thanks.

Macau
9 posts
5. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Hi Sikario,

I am going to rent a car from Geysir too, as they replied, their office will be just 3-4 minutes walk from the airport.

Here's a post that I posted before, there's a link provided by erensm on the location of their office.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189952-i223-k3506…

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
6. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Thanks Ivan, for some reason I didn't notice your thread.

I have since discovered a video on youtube that briefly shows the area where the Geysir office is based. (1m 48sec into the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ZKmpjyjgI

It appears to be next door to SIXT car rental. I am going to walk there, seems easy enough. I believe SIXT also have a bus that takes you there, perhaps you can hitch-a-lift. ;-p

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
7. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Hi Guys

As we are coming out for a week in June, I have been reading up here on car hire. I have followed all the links to different recommended companies and none of them have touched the price with the usual company that I have used over the past 20 years for Europe.

Must cheaper than any mentioned here, I am surprised the have not come up on this forum. I just checked the 2 listed above, Geysir & iceland car rental and both are over £500 for a week for the smallest car. SAD sounded good having older cars but they too were expensive.

www.holidayautos.co.uk ( don't know how to do a Hyperlink ) have quoted £303 for week, so I'll be going with them, unless anyone else out there knows of a better price than that.

Thanks for reading hope this is useful info for someone.

Italy
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Car rental in Iceland

JuleaUK,

is that site reliable?

They have terrific rates!!

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
9. Re: Car rental in Iceland

Hi Again evereybody

In reply to the last post.... YES, they are very reliable, as I said I have been using this company for the last 20 years for care hire all the world.

I did today make the booking, if you can not call the 0871 number from your location, then here is another option +44 (0) 1483 909065, this did go through to india but the girl the other end was quiet helpful. I called rather than book it on the web because I wanted to know which agents they use.

The cheapest car was with Hertz, I also purchased Holiday Autos total collision damage waiver as i have read some horrow stories on here about Hertz.

The other agent they use is Thrity but it was about £50 more, she also called both agents while I held to check if any extra charges applied for a late pick up, as Iceland air fly very late arriving at 23.10. Thirty are 24 hours, so no charge, and Hertz will collect you stil no charge.

Perhaps I should ask Holiday Autos for a discount for promoting them on this site. I would recomend them , but of course they are only an agent , so bare in mind if you don't like Hertz or Thirty you will have to look again.

It was nice to be able to purchase holiday autos total cover for an extra £44 for 8 days, I wouldn't want Hertz to try and charge me for anything, when I return the car.

Julea

Maldives
Level Contributor
144 posts
57 reviews
10. Re: Car rental in Iceland

I too intend to rent a car in late June and still don't know where to book it (i was thinking about geysir, iceland car rental or atak car rental). I checked the internet for holiday autos, but found some really bad reviews. (1.4 out of 5, based on 80 reviews).

Reply to: Car rental in Iceland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted