We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Came home Friday 28 Oct

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lancashire uk
11 posts
Save Topic
Came home Friday 28 Oct

What a wonderful place!

We flew out late on 24 Oct and crammed in as much as we could. Stayed at Park Inn Island (was Raddisson) out by the Laugardalur sports centre. Purchased a 3 day travel card for isk2200 which gives access to buses as well as entry to some sights, including the thermal pools at Laugardalur. It was great to sit in an outdoor pool at 8pm and look at the stars.

We found the locals to be very helpful and the bus drivers just smiled when we sat bemused at the end of the line having missed our stop but with 3 blondes what did they expect.

Yes dining out can be expensive but you get exceptional quality and often large portions.

We took the golden circle tour pre-booked and that was great. With all the ice around, Gullfoss Waterfall was amazing.

Geysir was spectacular, it errupts approx every 5 minutes and you are within 15 feet of the pool as it bubbles and steams.

The food in the cafe was reasonable as they did a meal deal to include either a soft drink or a beer. The walkround museum was a bit lame, I would have been disappointed if I had paid to go in, it was included in our tour so nothing lost.

We booked a Northern Lights tour whilst we were there, and the tourist office was very helpful with regard to weather conditions and we were rewarded with a fantastic display. if i figure our how to post my pictures then I will!

Took an evening tour to the Blue Lagoon but it was windy and really cold, the water was lovely and hot but a bit chilly around the ears. yes the hair turned to straw but their free conditioner in the showers helped, 4 lots seemed to do the trick. Another reasonable cafe and they even sold bottled beer which they left unopened (bargain)

A lot of the souvenirs were the same at every shop so lots of pictures and postcards work for us. The airport shops are tax free and worked out reasonable for spending those last kroner.

The weather had turned to snow by Friday but it was great fun and certainly a holiday to remember.

Please ask any questions as I have brought home lots of maps and booklets.

Carolyn

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

Wow, that was a quick trip! Glad to hear you had a good time - you did cram in a lot of sightseeing. Also glad to hear you liked the hot pot at Laugardalur - one of my favourite places to sit and get waterlogged.

Please let us know when you post your pictures.

lincolnshire
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

Hi we are going in 3 weeks, your letter was interesting , looks like the golden circle tour is the best deal to see most things, how long did it take and how much , we have only 2 days, but thought that might be ok,given how cold it must be by now?

Connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

It is so nice to have a report like this at this time. I am leaving to go to Iceland Nov. 17th only 3 days. And I really want to see the northern lights. What tour did you do, and you said you booked when you where there. Any information regarding places to eat and what to bring for cloths. We are booked for a Golden Circle Tour and one article said to wear hiking boots, true. Can't wait to hear from you.

Chicky

lancashire uk
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

hi Silverdolphin.. We took lots of layers of thin clothes I do wish that I`d had maybe some thick tights or thermals to go under my trousers but most people wore jeans. We did take walking boots and they were ideal for the Golden Circle tour as you could take advantage of the scenery at the stops.

If you to email me for any more details I am... bagwashdeli@aol.com

I will be happy to tell you more.

have a great trip if i dont hear from you

Carolyn

MALAYSIA
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

Thanks for the great trip report.

Please post up your Northern Lights pics if you can.. we would love to take a look.. Must have been awe-inspiring!

SM& Sim

www.bigbigplanet.com/iceland

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

I am so jealous! We came back 10/25 and went on the Northern LIghts trip too. Beautiful cold, clear night. There we all stood in our parkas and hats and mittens gazing at the sky like we were waiting for the Mother ship to beam us up and..........nothing! The Northern LIghts appararently had the night off! Rest of the trip make up for it though.

Hydrokitty

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

Silver Dolphin: Bring warm hat, scarf, mittens, socks and waterproof hiking boots. You can buy that stuff there but it costs a fortune! We used Reykjavik Excursions for Golden Circle and Northern LIghts (not their fault the NL were off that night!) Very pleased with them. They pick you up at your hotel 30 min. before tour but do NOT bring you back to your hotel (none of them do) they'll leave you in short walking distance. If you can do it add in the south shore excursion. You actually get to touch a glacier! Don't miss Blue Lagoon either. Have a great trip. It's a wonderful country, you'll love it.

Hydrokitty

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

I'm heading there on Thursday (10th Nov) for three days. The weather forecast isn't great. Do you think the tours will still be good if it's raining?

With just one day to explore on my own, any suggestions for the best parts of the city to take in.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

Dear Second Chance: One thing we learned about Iceland is that if you don't like the weather, wait a minute! Before we left the extended forecast for our trip was terrible! The entire time we were there the weather was beautiful, cloudless skies, no rain, no wind but cold. The tours will still operate in the rain and probably be just as good. The only thing you might not be able to do is hike out to the glacier (south shore excursion tour). That one is based strictly on the weather because the road leading down to the glacier becomes a problem for the bus. As for the geysirs and water falls there shouldn't be any effect at all. You will probably NOT be able to walk down Gulfoss regardless of the weather due to the ice but it's still amazing.

BE SURE TO BRING PROPER CLOTHING! You will absolutely need a very warm jacket, hat, gloves, heavy hunting socks, heavy waterproof hiking shoes/boots and I always carry a hooded raincoat too. Have a wonderful time.

Hydrokitty

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Came home Friday 28 Oct

Thanks Hydrokitty. That's really helpful.

Do people dress up much at night time or do they stay in trekking gear? I was thinking of bringing a long(ish) wool skirt and jumper with boots for nighttime but don't want to appear overdressed.