We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
4 posts
Save Topic
4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

heres my plan:

day 1.

arriving at 16:00 from LHR. Planning to get on the Fly Bus into town then transfering to Hilton via their shuttle.

(please advise where the pick up location is for the hilton shuttle, or shall i just get the Fly Bus+ to save the hassle.

Chill out in town after dropping off the luggages and have a nice meal in town - please recommend a nice place to eat with my girl friend.

day 2.

enjoy the bath that came with the Icenlandic Air's package near Hilton. Then will spend the rest of the day in town. Doing some sighseeing.

(We can probably move these 2 activities around).

day 3.

Join the Golden Circle Tour with R.E. then tansferring to the 18:00 bus to the Blue Lagoon. Still till it closes. Head back into town and find something to eat.

day 4.

leaving the hotel in the early morning and catch the first flight home back to London.

Please recommend some decent restaurants as my girl friend is a sea-food lover.

thx in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

Looks like a goof schedule... day 3 is pretty busy though but at least it ends in a relaxing way.

Icelandic Fish and Chips is a great place to eat but eating good fish and chips is a novelty for a Canadian. Regardless, it's a great place to eat and try some skyrnaise.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

I mean good schedule, not goof.

Sorry about the funny typo!

UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

I am going to Reyk for 4 days next week and i plan to eat in Indian Mango, Icelandic Fish and Chips (lunch) The Seafood Cellar and Vox

Check out the restaurant section for reviews!

Nottingham
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

cheers guys for the info on the restaurants.

but then does anyone know about where i can ctach the hilton shuttle bus from town.

i am planning to get a FlyBus only if its close to the BSI Terminal.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

I think you have a wrong impression on the size of Reykjavik.

You should really take the Flybus all the way to the hotel.

But here we go:

The Hilton Shuttle starts from the center (about 1 Km. from the BSI), Lækjargata beneath the Lobster house/old high school at these times:

09:45, 12:00, 18:30, 19:30, 22:15 and from the hotel to center 15 min. later, every day.

B-)

Reykjavik Iceland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

For fish I recommend the Fish Market and Við Tjörnina. For Reykjavik sight-seeing and excercise I recommend www.icelandbike.com

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

Hi,

I just got back from Iceland and had an amazing time. Your intinery is quite similar to what I did:

Day 1:

Arrive in Iceland on the same 1600 arrival. Got the Flybus directly to the Hilton hotel - dead easy, the bus picks up just outside the arrivals terminal. We had booked a table at Perlan - the rotating restaurant that overlooks Reykjavik. The food was good (about £100 for two including wine) and the ambience is amazing. www.perlan.is

Day 2:

Booked the Golden Circle Tour through Reykjavik Excursions (www.re.is). This is a long but exciting day. You get picked up and dropped off at the Hilton. The waterfalls and geysirs are breathtaking, make sure you wrap up warm and the tour guide provides a wealth of Icelandic history and culture - including singing a few traditional songs to you (earplugs at the ready). We had a quick dinner in the Bistro section of Vox at the Hilton - the food here is decent but the service is a little to be desired - they are not rude, just a little slow with bringing out the food (I had a club sandwich!). We did the Northern Lights tour after that, again through RE. We were lucky and saw a glimpse of the northern lights as it was a clear night with no moon - If you have a decent camera, make sure you get some online tips on how to photograph the lights - the camera picks up a lot more than your eyes can and a lot of people were a bit disappointed with their photos (mine were spectacular).

Day 3:

We got a cab into Reykjavik town in the morning - the cabs are not that expensive compared to London. We walked around the main shopping streets, harbour and visited Hallsgrimskirkja church - take a trip to the top for amazing views. Unless you plan to visit the museums, half a day in the town was sufficient for me as it isn't a big city and most of the sights appear to be outside Reykjavik. We had the most amazing lobster soup in Saegrifinn on Geirsgata. This looks like an old fashioned fish and chip shop, full of rustic nautical charm and the soup is good to warm your insides on a cold blustery day. It has even had an amazing write up in the New York times and is cheap (they even gave me discount as they did not have change for the notes I handed them).

We then walked around the lake to the BSI bus terminal to pick up the afternoon trip (14:00) to the Blue Lagoon. It is worthwhile seeing the lagoon in the daylight to get some decent pics and we stayed there till evening - very relaxing. We watched the sunset in lagoon and then got the couch back to the hotel (even though we went from the terminal). Back to the hotel for a quick shower and change, chill out in the bar and then went for dinner in an amazing icelandic tapas bar called tapas barinn. They have over 80 different dishes allowing you to sample lots of dishes including whale, puffin, kangaroo and foal! The restaurant was by far my favourite with a real buzzy atmosphere, the restaurant was also very reasonable - you can make it as cheap/expensive as you want it depending on the number of dishes you order.

Final day:

Before getting the 13:30 flybus picking up from the Hilton, I took a walk up to Perlan in the day and decended the hill the other side to go to the little beach next to the thermal pool. I did see a gorgeous sunrise here. Its not much to look at, but when on the hill at Perlan you do get some good views.

When checking in at the airport, use the automated checkin machines, it will make checkin a lot faster for you.

Hope you have a good time.

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

Oh yeah - you can walk from the harbour to the BSI bus terminal in half an hour at a reasonable pace.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

West-- you said your northern lights pics were great. Did you have a point and shoot or a DSLR? If the former, any tips?

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day trip to Reykjavik between 9th to 12th December

A DSLR - Panasonic Lumix G1.

Set everything to manual.

Set ISO to 400

F stop 3.5 (my lens doesn't go any smaller than that) - the lower the better apparently.

Set infinity focus

Shutter speed: I found 40-60 second exposures quite successful

Tripod needed

I have never taken photos using this camera where I have had to set everything manually myself so take a look at these websites where I got some pointers:

eclecticelectronics.net/dslr-photography/…

www.outdooreyes.com/photographaurora.php3

http://www.royhooper.ca/articles/aurora.html

Good luck if you do go, I was so glad my pictures came out so well. I just had everything ready on my camera like the experts said and hoped for the best and hoped to god i didn't knock anything when I was in complete darkness.