We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

philadelphia
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

Hello everyone, my husband and I are planning a trip to Iceland for about 2 weeks in late May/early June. We love to hike and are hoping to hike most days. We also like to camp, but only for 3-5 days -- then we need a hotel! Can anyone suggest a "hiking highlights" itinerary? That is, if you were hiking in Iceland, and had only 14 days, what would be "must dos"? I know Iceland is all about the driving, but we'd prefer not to spend too many days of just driving. We'd prefer to see less stuff in a smaller area but see it on foot. If we love it, we'll come back!

Thanks for any help.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

Since you´re coming in May/June, your hiking is restricted to the lowlands only. The highlands does not open up for hiking until after mid-June, the first.

But hre are few sites for you to read, and learn about hiking in Iceland:

http://www.outdoors.is/

http://www.hikinginiceland.com/

nat.is/gonguleidireng/gonguleidir_allt_landi…

B-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,054 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

One great place is Skaftafell National Park (the park site has hiking maps), which has a camp-site and a good hotel about 1 mile away, with 2 glacier snouts within easy walking distance.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
202 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

There are many camping options in both Reykjavik and the countryside. As for hotel accomodations, you'll most likely be stationed in Reykjavik. A good budget hotel to check out is Hotel Loftleider. It's not exactly "centrally located", but there is the #19 bus right outside which goes to the city center. As for camping, the largest camp site in Reykjavik is outside Laugardalur Sports Arena. There are other camping options outside the city as well. For hiking, check out the trails in Snaefellsness National Park and Skaftafell is great too. My favorite is Thingvellir National Park. The hike through the ruins of Skogarkot is great. Check before hand for when the trails open. I believe they're open from June to August. Have a great trip.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

Just gonna chime in as another fan of Skaftafell National Park. Lots of nice paths and hiking options here for all levels - hour hikes, day hikes and more. Plus, the views here of the glacier and mountains are pretty breathtaking.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful. I should add -- we can go anytime between late May and late July. I am a teacher and that is my only vacation. We usually take vacation in late May b/c I really need it, and it often avoids crowds. But I don't want to miss any wonderful things. So, maybe we should go in July?

We will definitely put Skaftafell on our list of "must dos." If there is any other place you would add if we go in July, let me know. Thank you so much for all your help. If any of you want advice about US Nat'l Parks, let us know. We've been to (and camped in) almost all of them. We'd be happy to pay it forward.

Cheers!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

I'm not sure what the weather in the North is like as early as May (probably too cold/snowy for hiking), so someone else would have to chime in here, but if you went later in the Summer, you could absolutely do some hiking in Jökulsárgljúfur National Park as well.

Similar to Skaftafell, there are several hikes of varying length - one of the more popular hikes being from Asbyrgi canyon down to Dettifoss - I think that one takes a day or two to complete.

Check out this hiking map:

english.ust.is/media/…Jokulsarg_ensk.PDF

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

If you come in July you could walk the most popular hiking trail in Iceland which is "Laugavegurinn". The Hike starts in Landmannalaugar (in the highlands) and and ends in Þórsmörk and typically takes 4 days to walk. You could also extend the hike for one day and hike Fimmvörðuháls (near Þórsmörk).

Here you can find information about this hike and other ones:

http://fi.is/en/hiking-trails/

Just remember to bring good hiking clothes (gore tex or similar) because the weather in the highlands can get bad, even in the summer.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
202 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

The weather in northern Iceland is actually sunnier and dryer than in Reykjavik in the summer. June is an awesome time of year to go. It's not too crowded and it rains less than in July. You won't have many weather issues unless you're in the interior where it's almost always windy and cold.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

Hi Hikegirl11,

We also like to spend out time outdoor as much as possible. We went to Iceland in September 2006 for 2 weeks. Most days we were hiking for 3-4 hours. During these 2 weeks, we only had 2 big days of driving. We did the whole ring road + Snaefellnes Peninsula.

Hiking Highlights:

Thorsmork

We didn't drive in Thorsmork as you need a 4X4. We took the bus. This is such a beautiful place. We wished we had stayed longer. We stayed only 3 hours, but it was really worth it. We hiked up Mt Valahnjokur. You could see 3 glaciers around. We definitely want to go back there for a longer stay. You can rent huts in Thorsmork or camp.

http://www.re.is/Thorsmork/MapofThorsmork/

Skogarfoss

Skogarfoss is an unbelievable waterfall, one of my favorite. We had a great hike along the skoga river. You have to go up the stairs next to the waterfall and there is trail just there. We walked for 2 hours and saw several other nice waterfall and sheep.

Skaftafell

Agree with the other.

Around Myvatn

In a day and a half we hiked at the following sites: Leirhnjukur (lava flows from different eruptions), Hverarond (a large field of solfataras where you can see boiling mud, fumaroles, etc), Mt Vindbelgjarfjall (a beautiful view of the pseudo craters and the lake), Dimmuborgir (aka the black fortress, a collection of lava towers) and Hverfjall (you can summit one of the world's largest crater).

Snaefellsnes Peninsula

We had a really fun hike from Hellnar to Arnarstapi and back. It was a very enjoyable easy hike through lava fields with nice views of the rocky coast.

Landmannalaugar

We spent only 2 hours in Landmannalaugar, but we really want to go back. It is so incredibly beautiful. You can bath in a natural geothermal hot springs. You can camp there as well. You can hike Landmannaulagar-Thorsmork in 4 days as someone else mentionned.

One last thing. Do not forget your swimsuit. Go to the local pool or/and the blue lagoon, it is such a great experience, especially after a day of hiking.

Have a fun trip!

10. Re: Hiking Itinerary in Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 23, 2010