We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these three tours would you recommend?

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Which of these three tours would you recommend?

My husband (a photographer) and I will be going to Iceland for the first next May. We will only be there for 4 days and one day is arrival and the other is departure so we only have time for TWO full day tours. We are choosing between the Golden Circle, the South Shore and Snaefellsnes (yeah, I probably spelled that wrong.) We are planning on using Iceland Horizon tours as we read they are a smaller group and spend more time at the sites (this is important to us but we do NOT want to rent a car and drive ourselves.) My husband has his heart set on the last one I mentioned but I want to know if it's really worth it.

Thanks so much for any tips!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these three tours would you recommend?

For a photographer, I'd recommend the South Shore and Snaefellnes.

The Golden Circle is great and everything but I think there's for photographic opportunities are the other places. There's also more opportunities to take more unique photos that are different from other people's. The South Shore should be your main priority...there's beautiful waterfalls, lush green landscape and the beach at Vik is amazing for photos.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these three tours would you recommend?

I went on the South Shore Adventure with www.re.is this spring and I must say that it was unmatched to any tour I have taken Photographicly wise.

I am a photographer. www.hjalti.se and I really enjoyed the South Shore Adventure of that sense.

A couple of weeks ago I took a Snæfellsnes tour and I thought that as well was a very very ncie phototour. And both gave me better shots then the Golden Circle.

It might be becuose I have taken the Golden Circle soooo many times, but still I had a blast in both tours.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these three tours would you recommend?

Take it from a seasoned tourguide: Iceland Horizon, there is no question that this is the best of the three tours, for photographers.

Of course it is a ,,tour", and therefore there are fixed stops and timetable, but with a small group there is more flexibility, and David has a good reputation for that.

The best thing is of course to get a private tour, for about the amount of three bus seats.

B-)

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these three tours would you recommend?

I just came back from Iceland and am not an expert by any means, but here is my opinion. I went on the tours that you are interested in...two with Reykjavik Excursions and one with David at Horizon. All three were great, with small groups. The most scenic was definitely the South Shore.

IMHO you should really consider a private guide. As a lay person, not a professional photographer, I was extremely frustrated by all the wonderful places that we passed that I wanted to photograph.

There was plenty of time at the stops with both tour operators to get all the shots you wanted, but the it was the scenes that we passed that exasperated me.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which of these three tours would you recommend?

Thanks everyone. We would love to hire a private guide but the cost is out of our reach. Now the good news...we are actually extending our trip by one day so we can do all three tours!!

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which of these three tours would you recommend?

Congratulations on that! I believe you will be very pleased :)

Bellevue, WA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which of these three tours would you recommend?

We just got back from Iceland last week and went on both the Golden Circle and South Shore, both were spectacular. But, from our volumn of photograghs I would say South Shore is more scenic. The charm of Vik, the black sand beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and a glacier in the same shot, etc make South Shore a photographers paradise.

8. Re: Which of these three tours would you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 11, 2010