We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place to stay....

Boscaz
11 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a place to stay....

Can anyone suggest a Place to stay in Reykjavik that is inexpensive,clean,kitchenette,wireless, and centrally located, and under 6128 ISK? A bit of a stretch is my guess, but you never know.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a place to stay....

Hi,

We just came back form a budget holiday in Iceland. I can recommend the Youth Hostel in Reykjavik. You can book a room for yourself, with shower and toilet, rent sheets, they have kitchens to cook in, and of course lots of other foreigners excited to be in Iceland. Good connections to other parts of Reyjavik and thus to the rest of the country. It's cheap, and if you don't mind some buzz around of other people it's a great location!

Best,

marianne.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,192 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a place to stay....

Wow - that price won't get you much. Have a look at www.hotel.is for some apartment suggestions - I'm guessing most will be more than your budget.

I've stayed a couple of times at Arni's place, A Room With A View, and couldn't be happier - he has one apartment available for just 125USD per night if paid in cash (he is an honest man, I promise), and then a few for about 150USD. That's about the best deal in RKV, I think - the building is exceptionally central, the apartments are squeaky clean, the bedding is +++ comfy - can't be beat.

Anyplace in 101 Reykjavik is v central (except the Loftleidir).

Carlisle, PA
Level Contributor
50 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a place to stay....

Speaking of places to stay, we're planning our trip to Iceland and my wife is allergic to smoke. I'm wondering, has the non-smoking room concept caught on in Iceland?

Do hotels typically offer such rooms, and does Room with a View?

(By the way, thanks, TravellerPlus for all your insights)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,192 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a place to stay....

You're welcome, Birdguy.

There are non-smoking rooms in Iceland, although a lot of Icelanders smoke. RWAV is completely non-smoking, I think, although Siggi (who works with Arni) smokes. Haven't had suites that smelled of tobacco when I've stayed - and I am ++++ keen on the high ceilinged rooms with huge windows that open - fabulous. 512 and 513 have balconies that are big enough for a tiny table and two chairs, looking towards Hallgrimskirkja and the mountains - surprisingly quiet for being on the main street.

London.
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a place to stay....

I stayed at the Travel-Inn guesthouse http://www.dalfoss.is/soleyjargata_101.htm

Just checked and rates are not shown but I know it was a very reasonable price.

Our room was spacious, clean and some rooms and kitchnette...

The Host was great (friendly and helpful)

Simple, plain but good value (for Iceland)

All info on site..

LA, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a place to stay....

Birdguy,

Not sure if you still need this info, but Hotel Odinsve is a non-smoking establishment (although I did hear the front desk receptionist tell a guest that if the guest opened a window, he wouldn't get into trouble for it). I am also very sensitive to smoke and have never had trouble at Odinsve.