We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland food experience

Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland food experience

We're fond of tasting different foods from around the world. What's a typical "cheap" dish in Iceland? Any special foods during the Christmas/New Year's holiday? Where do we get them?

Thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,364 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland food experience

You'll get about 50 ISK to the dollar, so cheap is a v relative term.

Some Icelandic foods that are worth trying are dried fish - available in every grocery store packed like chips and sold by weight - it tastes salty and just ever so slightly fishy. Probably v good for you. They're ++++ keen on orange pop (appelsin) and a rather vile drink called Malt Extract, and at Christmas time they mix the two - haven't tried this, nor do I intend to. Malt Extract is acceptable if icy cold, but I'd rather drink a Fanta Lemon.

Baked goodies....kleinur are all right, sort of like an Old Fashion Plain from Tim H's, but flavoured with a wee bit of cardamom. Better still are the snudur, named after the snails they look like - they'll have chocolate, caramel or pink icing on top. They're enormous, also slightly cardamom-flavoured. Very very good.

Skyr is quite wonderful, and now comes in a drinkable thickness as well as pre-packed smoothies - it's a bit like yogourt but v nearly fat-free (doesn't taste like it) with less tang. It's very good with fruit, and is available everywhere. There is a pre-packed rice pudding (hrismjolk) that comes with a teeny serving of syrup that is in the top three rice puds anywhere.

I have one Icelandic cookbook...for Christmas it suggests roast or smoked lamb, stuffed roasted goose, maybe roast pork. Sugar glazed potatoes (borrowed from the Danes, I think), red cabbage and peas and carrots probably to go with the dinner.

Restos will have mains mostly in the fish and seafood, lamb, duck or reindeer area as specialties, and you'll find lots of North American type goods in the grocery stores. Have a look at www.bonus.is, www.hagkaup.is or www.netto.is to get an idea of what's available in the shops. The sites are in Icelandic, but the general idea comes across.