We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Lagoon - is the in water massage too cold for winter?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
446 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Lagoon - is the in water massage too cold for winter?

The last time I went the the Blue Lagoon, I didn't do the in-water massage and was thinking about trying it this time around - when I go next week.

But, isn't it too cold in the winter? I had seen someone laying on a raft like device, with half their body exposed to the open air while getting a silica mud massage. It looked relaxing, but in the winter - I maybe happier just soaking in the water myself fully emerged???

Has anyone done the inwater massages in the winter time? Was it cold? Also, any other feedback on the Blue Lagoon massages would be helpful.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Lagoon - is the in water massage too cold for winter?

Indoors and outdoors, in town or at the Blue Lagoon, Read:http://www.bluelagoon.com/Bath/Treatments-Massages/

B-)

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Lagoon - is the in water massage too cold for winter?

do it! i had one last month and they keep you covered with a large blanket. my masseuse dipped me under every few minutes to reheat the blanket (and me) and it was amazing. not at all cold. i'd definitely recommend the in-water massage. you benefit so much from the weightlessness, and the masseurs are really able to manipulate and rub your muscles out.

it's worth the money travelling there just to do it again.

have fun!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Lagoon - is the in water massage too cold for winter?

I had one today (24 November) and my masseur kept me warm by dipping the blanket into the warm water. It was a very sensuous, relaxing experience and well worth the money. But make sure you book in advance. I booked on Friday, for Monday and there were only two slots left. People trying to book a massage as they arrived were disappointed.

It snowed today, as well. So we were up to our necks in warm, even hot water, with snow drifting down around us. The steam was so thick that we could hardly see across the lagoon.

Great fun!

East Anglia
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Lagoon - is the in water massage too cold for winter?

I had one last year at the end of October and did not feel cold - I agree with all the other posts - go for it, well worth while and a bonus if you are fortunate to get the male Icelandic masseur that I had.

Boston...
Level Contributor
446 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Lagoon - is the in water massage too cold for winter?

Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm booking. Do you guys remember what massage you got?

I'm leaning towards the "relaxing massage" with various time options from 10 - 60 minutes or the "silica massage for back." Interesting that they use a "massage oil" ??? For some reason, I was assuming they would leverage the silica mud only.

6. Re: Blue Lagoon - is the in water massage too cold for winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:27 am, October 14, 2009