We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icelandic Krona

Berkshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Icelandic Krona

Hi, We are heading out to Iceland in a couple of weeks and we can't get any Icelandic Krona in the UK!! Is this easy to get when we are out there? Do they accept Euro's now? Is anyone else having the same problem?

Guildford
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Icelandic Krona

Hey Sammy,

Well i just ordered some in from my local thompson for my wonderful partner and i, however if it will turn up or not is yet to be seen. But they did say it would only take two days, But might be worth checking out a local travel agent in windsor if there is one??? hope this helps!? :)

London
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icelandic Krona

I went 10 days ago and bought my ISK online from Lloyds TSB, I could also get it through M&S but the rate wasn't as good.

You could use Euros in some places but it's not a good idea as the £ to Euro exchange rate is so bad at the moment.

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Icelandic Krona

i just got back from iceland

it's lovely.

i only used credit card, it's totally fine. just make sure u call ur bank before heading to iceland.

the exchange rate is USD1: 137

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Icelandic Krona

Hi,

even though you might have a better rate by buying it in the UK, you will have no problem at all exchanging the GBP in Reykjavik.

If you arrive at Keflavik airport for example, there is a bank where you can exchange it and also several ATMs

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icelandic Krona

We're also off to Iceland at the beginning of December: UK banks don't want to stock kroner so we have been advised to take US dollars instead. A contact in Iceland has advised taking cash as foreign exchange is in short supply. Does anyone have any experience of the acceptability of dollars?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icelandic Krona

Hey, if you´re british, bring pounds. If you are americans, bring $. Why exchange pounds to dollars before going to Iceland ?, most places accepts both, at this rate:

http://www.sedlabanki.is/?PageID=183

B-)

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Icelandic Krona

We just returned from a brief but exciting trip to Iceland. With a US based ATM card, I had no problem getting cash from the ATM at the Airport. Credit card transactions posted within 2 days at official exchange rate. At JFK airport in NYC, they only had 9000ISK

Berkshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Icelandic Krona

Thanks everyone for your help, I have managed to order some from Lloyds bank. Should be coming in on Sat so fingers crossed. Can't wait to go now, only 2 weeks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Icelandic Krona

Hi Sammy, how much did you pay for the krona ?

B-)

Guildford
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Icelandic Krona

it was 1.92 to the pound with lloyds last weekend.