We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nov - tour v's car and car type required

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
nov - tour v's car and car type required

hi,

I've just booked a trip to Reykjavik at the end of Nov and i am debating between hiring a car versus booking a tour.

cost wise i think it will be cheaper for us to hire a car becasue there are four of us travelling together (am quoted 120 GBP for our entire trip time there in a Yaris - do i need a 4x4). but i wonder how much petrol costs for a tank ?

we're thinking of using it for the following trips:

1. airport to hotel

2. driving into town for dinner (we're staying at comfort hotel)

3. visiting blue lagoon

4. looking for the northern lights in the evening

not sure whether to book a tour for the golden circle or drive cos we will be missing out on a tour guide and the distance is much further.

tripadvisors please help !!!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nov - tour v's car and car type required

There is no doubt that a car is cheaper when there are four of you.

1-3 are no problem. 4 might be - it depends on the weather and knowing where the best viewing conditions are - if the lights are displaying then you'll see something, but probably not the best.

The Golden Circle - a coach tour will be easier - at this time of year it may be icy / snow driving and will not be easy to read a guide book. It's possible, but daylight is limited and if you don't get a move on (i.e. not being familiar with everything) you could run out of daylight.

london
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nov - tour v's car and car type required

thanks for the info... i meant to say i'm staying in hotel cabin.

is parking in town easy to find ?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nov - tour v's car and car type required

Parking is not a big problem. It depends on the day of the week and the time of day, but generally you will find space very near where you need. At Hotel Cabin there is never any parking problem.

4. Re: nov - tour v's car and car type required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 13, 2009