We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonably priced souvenirs?

San Francisco,CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonably priced souvenirs?

Whenever I take a trip people at home want souvenirs/gifts.

Considering prices in Icealnd, does anyone know of some reasonably priced offerings?

I understand Icealndic dried fish comes pretty cheap in the shops and can be a quircky gift.

Also, does anyone know how much "Black Death" costs? Is it cheaper at the airport futy free at at one of the liquor stores?

San Francisco,CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Reasonably priced souvenirs?

Is it possible to purchase harkarl (rotted shark) in jars to take home? Would be very quirky to bring some home to share. Presumasbly US Customs doesn't see it as meat and its OK to bring into this country?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Reasonably priced souvenirs?

I haven't seen it anywhere except restos and cafes, but then haven't perused the freezer section at Hagkaup or 11-11 v carefully either.

Will tell you a secret - when I ate it, it didn't taste of much, as it was served v v cold, nearly frozen, in one inch cubes. On the back of the tongue, chew chew, down the hatch.

If you can find it and take it home, then why not. If you have to take a couple of bags of dried fish, it'll still be impresive.