We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone?

Hi-

Renting a car and driving around the Circle. My mobile phone will not work in Iceland.

Question: Are there enough public phones, so in case of emeergencies I can use one (with a pre-paid card, or should I rent a mobile phone?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mobile phone?

Vodafone http://www.vodafone.is/simtaekin and scroll down - the first few phones are in the price range kr. 2.990 (about USD 40) to kr. 14.900 (about USD 190). These prices include tax.

Vodafone is in the shopping malls Kringlan and Smáralind.

A prepaid ("Frelsi") StartPack includes the SIM card and kr. 2.000 credit and costs kr. 2.000

The biggest provider, Síminn, offers similar phones and SIM cards. Síminn shops include Smáralind and Kringlan.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mobile phone?

Thanks so much! I'll pursue this.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mobile phone?

Correction - the Vodafone StarPack costs kr. 2.500

seattle
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Mobile phone?

I researched this pretty well prior to our trip and the least expensive phone to purchase at Vodaphone was the best buy. It was less expensive than renting a phone for 2 weeks. Our car rental was through Budget and they did not rent phones.

The Vodaphone network is global so you could use this phone most anywhere you travel. That was nice information to know for future travels.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mobile phone?

There are several US websites that sell cheap GSM phones and global SIMs to go with them. I bought one recently to take with me. Rates vary as does the support if you have a problem so do your homework. Try Telestial, not the cheapest but good phone help. Brightroam is another.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mobile phone?

Thanks for the info.

17. Re: Mobile phone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 30, 2009