We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with Children in Reykjavik

Orlando, Florida
9 posts
Save Topic
Things to do with Children in Reykjavik

Hi there-

I am mulling over taking my 5 year old and two year old to Iceland for a few days stopover while I go to Paris to visit a friend. I never would have been interested in Iceland, except my husband will be working there for about 6 weeks. Since doing my research, I have found MANY beautiful places to see in Iceland. My only concern is - are there many things that my two young daughters would be able to do there? Dogsledding and hiking sound great, but not for my kids because of their ages. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this trip to skip until they are a bit older, or should I go ahead and do it?

Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with Children in Reykjavik

They may be a bit young to get much out of this, or any other similar excursion. Reykjavik, especially old-town, begs to be walked to be fully appreciated. The culture, and the geography, are best appreciated by an adult mind and body. There is nothing that stands out saying a good time would not be had by all, but YOU will get much more out of it than your children. I would hate for you to pass on this (if you never plan to return) because the country is EXTREMELY easy to fall in love with. I just spent 10 days there in June, and would have loved to have had 10 more. If you want to go, and drive yourself and the kids (you be the judge of how well they car travel) around in the countryside- DO IT. Waterfalls and beautiful scenery will keep young eyes interested, no matter what the country or state.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with Children in Reykjavik

They may be a bit young to get much out of this, or any other similar excursion. Reykjavik, especially old-town, begs to be walked to be fully appreciated. The culture, and the geography, are best appreciated by an adult mind and body. There is nothing that stands out saying a good time would not be had by all, but YOU will get much more out of it than your children. I would hate for you to pass on this (if you never plan to return) because the country is EXTREMELY easy to fall in love with. I just spent 10 days there in June, and would have loved to have had 10 more. If you want to go, and drive yourself and the kids (you be the judge of how well they car travel) around in the countryside- DO IT. Waterfalls and beautiful scenery will keep young eyes interested, no matter what the country or state.

North St. Paul, Mn
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with Children in Reykjavik

Hi!

I know your kids are young, but the city pools are great. We went to Laugardalslaug. There was an area where the water was not very deep. You could relax and the kids could play around. Next to the pool is a farm zoo. We didn't go there-we were there with our 20 year old daughter! I've heard it's super!

I agree that the countryside is wonderful. You don't have to drive far to see waterfalls. An open field for playing and a picnic by the waterfalls sounds like a fun time. We went to Pingvellir. Lots to do there. We saw many families there.

A walk along the waterfront might be fun. The Viking ship sculpture would interest your five year old.

We went up and looked at The Pearl. There you can see some sculptures of people and there is a walk in the woods that you'd probably like.

The Hallgrimskirja Church is great to see, too. Not too confining for the kids. There is a lake downtown where you can go and feed the ducks.

Iceland is very expensive. I'd make room in your suitcase and bring some of the kids special treats. Those grab bags of crackers, cheese and cracker packages would be helpful. We were meeting our daughter in Iceland. She'd been spending the year in England studying. We even brought her peanut butter, oreos, and twizzlers! She had been in England for 8 months and was missing those treats.

Have a blast. I'm sure you'll love Iceland--we did!

Orlando, Florida
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with Children in Reykjavik

purplelady323-

Thanks so much!! I found your comments quite encouraging. We will only be in Iceland 3-4 days and then are travelling over to Chambourcy, France to visit some friends. I am very excited by looking at the pictures! It looks so pretty. My husband is there now working. He says that it is cold, but the change of scenery is lovely! The cold is welcome after a VERY HOT summer on the East coast!!

Best to you! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do with Children in Reykjavik

Is your husband in Iceland now? From your last posting it looks as if he is - I had to check the temperature, as you said he said it was cold - I think 12C is quite lovely, if a little chilly for August.

Your children will be happy to be out of doors, and there will be some things for them to do. If you get the chance to visit a farm, the horses will be a big draw - maybe not for your two year old, but your older child might like the smaller than usual horses. There are sheep in the fields, and if you go in Sept, you will see horses being used to herd the sheep to collecting pens, where the farmers sort the flocks and take them back to the farms for the winter.

Laugardalur has a wonderful outdoor shallow pool for kids, and there is a bin of water wings your small people can borrow if they want to go for a swim. The area around it has other facilities, as purplelady said, and is a great place to take the children and let them run loose.

Despite being a very expensive country, you'll be able to feed your children good food, as there are plenty of fresh fruit and veg available, and enough recognisable North American grub to keep anyone happy. The dairy products are excellent, if your little people drink cows' milk.

A few days there would be a great treat - and since your husband is there already, what a swell opportunity. If you do go, hope you all have a good time.