We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning a day in Reykjavik

SGF
USA
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning a day in Reykjavik

We'll have a day in Reykjavik as our cruise ship will be docking there. What do you suggest we do on our own? I read about whale watching or are there other sights worth seeing? Any info would be extremely helpful as I don't really want to do a tour thru the ship. Also, is it safe to venture out on your own?

Elding Adventure at Sea
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips
Reykjavik Whale Watching
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Whale Watching Reykjavik - Special Tours
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Happy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
United States
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning a day in Reykjavik

It's totally safe. When I was there I did a wale watch. It started at 9 (I think) and lasted about three hours. We just walked up and purchased our tickets on the spot.

The museums are fun, as well as strolling up and down the main shopping street.

It's all within easy walking distance of the ship. I also recommend stopping for coffee because it's all so delicious there.

Enjoy!

Stockholm
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning a day in Reykjavik

We spent 4 days in Iceland and need to return for a longer stay. For just one day, I'd say you have to do the Golden Circle Tour and go to the Blue Lagoon. Sure, they're big tourist deals, but they're attractive to the toursists because both are quiter awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Saugus, MA
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning a day in Reykjavik

We returned from 9 day tour of the whole island of Iceland on 7/14. We flew overnight from the East Coast of the US and had the frist day free in Reykjavik. We took the new Hop On Hop Off bus tour and it was a great way to get an overview of the city for about $25.00. It is narrated by way of a recording in many languages. We took the whole 1 hour tour and on the second time around, got off at 3 different places. You will need to spend an hour at each place that you get off until the bus comes by again.

The country is extrodinarily beautiful outside of the city (a city is a city) so I would opt for a tour of the countryside (maybe the Golden Circle or another tour that takes you to see the landscape) which you can book on the ship. As frequent cruisers we are always reluctant to venture too far on our own when we are in port because the ship doesn't know where you are. If you book through the ship you take advantage of a good tour and you won't miss the ship if the tour gets delayed. Iceland is a very safe place to venture and the people are helpful and friendly.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,494 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning a day in Reykjavik

One day - not long enough! You´ll really like it, no matter what you do.

The Golden Circle sights might be crowded at this time of year, but they´re worth seeing in any case, and the countryside on the road to Geysir and Thingvellir is different from anything you´ll see in North America.

Reykjavik is a very very safe city. Icelanders are very nice people - quiet but friendly.

SGF
USA
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning a day in Reykjavik

Thank you all for your suggestions. We're probably going to do the Golden Circle. We really do want to see the countryside and since we don't have time to check out the city too we opted for the other tour. Usually we prefer to schedule our own tours but we feel it would be safer to go with the ship this time just in case the tour is delayed. This way the ship would wait.