We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking age?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
8 posts
Save Topic
drinking age?

just a quick question, what is the legal drinking age in iceland, am i right in thinking that it's probably 20?

Second question, how strictly is this enforced, i'm 19...20 later this year and am going to reykjavik next week, i'm not a massive drinker but would at least like to be able to have a beer every now and again.

Thanks in advance.

-ash

Washington
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking age?

Not 100% sure but I thought the drinking age was 19.

As a 32 year old, I couldn't tell you how strictly it was enforced. Not one person carded me.

England
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking age?

cheers, i've searched high and low, travel books, iceland tourist board site, the visit reykjavik site...and nothing, they just all mention the 'fantastic nightlife'.

see if anyone can give a 100% answer, i'm imagining someone can :-).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,651 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking age?

You must be at least 20 years old to purchase beer, wine or spirits in Iceland - don't know how thoroughly it's enforced, though.

Alcoholic drinks are available at the Vinbudin, or ATVR shops - there's one in Reykjavik's centre, near the Hotel Borg, and one in Kringlan shopping centre - or you could pick up a supply at the duty free shop after you arrive at KEF - look for the shop off to the right of the baggage carousels when you go down the escalator.

Prices at the Vinbudin are high enough, so drinking in bars and clubs must rocket up the blood pressure - which is why so many locals drink at home before heading out quite late at night.

Chucking-out time is about 0430 - if you're heading back to England on one of the 0745 flights and want to catch the 0500 Flybus, you'll be amazed at how chocka the streets are at that hour.

Thule and Gull are both quite nice beers.

England
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking age?

thanks for the prompt informative reply (as always!).