We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student Accommodation in Reyjavik

Liverpool
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Student Accommodation in Reyjavik

Hi,

I am a 3rd year medical student at the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom. I will be visiting Iceland for a clinical placement at Landspitali Hospital this summer and require accommodation near the hospital between June 13th to July 14th.

Does anyone know where I can find reasonably priced accommodation?

I have contacted the university and they have given me the following websites, of which only one is in english.

http://casaswap.com/

http://leigulistinn.is/

If anyone knows any additional websites or anywhere else I can find accommodation, I would appreciate any info.

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student Accommodation in Reyjavik

Hi oxymore,

what would you call reasonable? Have you looked at guesthouses and such?

I have a few website suggestions but they're in Icelandic as well. www.barnaland.is is the most widely read small ads site in Iceland and it's free. If you want help with putting together an ad and placing it there you can contact me through messages and I'll do it for you, using your email adress as a means of contacting you for those who might have something for you.

www.mbl.is is another one but they charge.

Mentioned in this post
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,545 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Student Accommodation in Reyjavik

Hi there

There is a real problem with student accommodation (especially for those coming on exchanges etc...) in Rvk, made worse by the uni turning its dorm block into a hotel over the summer months.

Landspitali is on the ring road, and on most bus routes in and out of the city centre, so anything in 101 would probably be fine.

From my experience of trying to find somewhere to live for this year, much of the stuff on leigulistinn is also advertised elsewhere, such as at mbl.is, www.fs.is/stutentamidlun etc... and stuff goes exceedingly quickly. Expect to pay 30-45,000 isk a month for a small room (about £250-300 a month) with access to shared kitchen, and 60,000+ (£450ish a month) for a small apartment.

Should nothing turn up, it might be worth trying somewhere like the Salvation Army Guesthouse, which, bar the Youth Hostel (miles and miles out) is the cheapest accommodation in Rvk. Unlike the Youth hostel, they have single rooms which would probably be essential if you are going to be doing any sort of shift work. Otherwise, try some of the guesthouses - I believe Guesthouse Oðinn has special deals for students

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Salvation Army Guesthouse
Salvation Army Guesthouse
80 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Liverpool
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Student Accommodation in Reyjavik

Thanks for all your kind suggestions.

I am still desperately looking for a room/apartment in Fossvogur (108) so if anyone knows/hears of anything being let out, please do let me know.

Much appreciated

4. Re: Student Accommodation in Reyjavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 27, 2009