We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip report

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Short trip report

I always read lots of forum posts before travelling anywhere, so thought this may be my chance to 'put something back'!

We returned from 4 nights in Iceland yesterday,a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 11 and 14, and I can say that it is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited, it was superb.

We stayed in Hotel Reykjavik which I would recommend most definitely.Clean, warm, friendly, helpful staff, good breakfast, 10 mins walk into town, fab price!

Mon- arrived lunchtime, so spent pm looking around Reykjavik, a fascinating city

Tues- through hotel, booked bus to Blue Lagoon, leaving at 11am, so walked to Hallgrimskirka beforehand, excellent for stunning views of R., also beautiful interior.Blue Lagoon is just as amazing as everyone says. Gave ourselves plenty of time for a bathe, then a look round viewing platforms, little walk around edge of lagoon etc.

Wed- high excitement for 'Walk on the ice side' trip with Reykjavik Excursions, a superb trip along south coast to glacier, then with crampons and ice axes up on to the Solheimajokull glacier. V expert guides, a unique experience. Stopped at Skogafoss and Sealjandfoss, two fantastic waterfalls.

Thurs- Golden Circle Classic trip with Iceland Excursions. We worried that we would feel herded on and off the bus without enough time to look properly at the highlights, but once again this was excellent. Just a small minibus, and another wonderful guide. Do not miss this trip!

Each evening we ate at 'inexpensive' bistros or cafes. We can recommend Cafe Paris, Cafe Victor, and Eldsmidjan although we didn't sample any trad Icelandic fare.

Fri- very reluctantly home. We will return, as we want to see more of the island, so plan to come back in the summer months. There is so much more to do and see!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip report

Intersting to read your positive comments about organised tours after the recent postings advising self-drive car rental.

Thanks for this useful posting!

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip report

Thanks Frozen Baz. We looked out for you and icelandicguide while we were there, but to no avail!

We feel that we may have missed some places, or not have understood them so well, without an expert on hand.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip report

Hi James -

I too will be traveling to Iceland with an 11 and 14 year old this summer, so your post caught my eye. What were the favorite things from your childrens' perspectives? Did the time on the road get boring for them or was everyting new and different enough that they stayed engaged? We have very similar trips planned (self drive) and one or two potentialy long days on the road, so I am a little nervous about too much "car time."

Thanks for the post.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip report

It does depend on what your kids are into, but there were frequent stops, esp on Golden Circle tour, and opportunities to get out and walk around. The glacier trip involved about 3 hours travelling each way, but my girls just loved looking out at the amazing landscape.

They also had their electronic games with them which always helps!They each had a camera, which can give a purpose when gazing out of the window!

I think your kids are at the perfect age to be able to appreciate Iceland, they will love it!

alabama
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip report

I found your trip to be very interesting. I am looking into a trip with my family. We go on trips together..sons are 27 and 30. I have been looking into Iceland...Did you rent a car...is the walking hard as i can not walk alot but do not want to keep the rest back. How about the prices..I do not understand the prices i see. Thank you for your help

ALso did you fly from England or take ther ferry

6. Re: Short trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, September 23, 2009