We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Reykjavik?!

6 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Reykjavik?!

I might have to move to Reyjavik for a three-month work assignment starting in mid-October...yes I know, it's dark in December! I'm concerned about cost of living differences between New York City and Reykjavik as I have been here before for a week. What would a typical weekly shopping bill be? What about dinner at a good restaurant for 1 person?

Are there other hidden expenses? I have looked into a few extended stay options for housing but wonder if anyone has any suggestions. Also, is there a place to rent a car on a monthly rate?

I went to the World Class gym (I think it's also called Laugaeur, or in that area) and it was great; the largest in Iceland. Are there other good gyms or places that offer Yoga or even tennis?

I'm a male in my late 30's and single and am also wondering about where it is good to go out. I noticed in Reykjavik that things seemed a bit dead during the week but heard that Friday and Saturday nights are crazy. I'm not much of a late night person. Are there places to go to meet people without having to be out very late?

Thanks for your help!

John

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Reykjavik?!

There's another thread on page one showing actual food market prices. Could give you a rough idea.

Most Icelandic restaurants are online. On their sites you can view samples of menu's and prices.

Don't know about the car rental but I'm pretty sure car rentals do that in general.

Plenty of gyms that offer Yoga and Squash, I only know of one which offers tennis. Might be more. http://www.tennis.is/

About the going out bit...I'm sure you'll get into the feel of things once you're here. Ask around, try different places. You'll have 3 months:) Most places are downtown and close to one another. If you don't like something you leave and try the one next door.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Reykjavik?!

In the last few years there have been newspaper advertisements from both Hertz and Avis offering monthly rates for the winter period. These advertisements have appeared in late September and October - that is, once the summer season has ended.

I would check with them and with other car rental compaies when you arrive.

Other hidden expenses - phone and Internet. Unless it's critical to have Internet where you are staying (and that may well be available by separate agreement with the guesthouse, hotel, landlord etc.) then I suggest you use cafe and bar hotspots, which are available in many places. For a phone, use a GSM mobile with a prepaid SIM card ("frelsi") and pay in advance as you go. For international calls use a prepaid calling card such as "Atlas", or Skype etc.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Reykjavik?!

Have you tried to find an apartment for rent instead of extended stay hotel? Or talk to some guesthouses where you can rent a room with access to a kitchen? They should give you a good deal. Or maybe a home exchange? Some Icelander might like to go to New York City for the beautiful warm fall season.

Do you really need a car all the time you are there? If you will be working in the city you can take the bus to work and rent a car for a few days if you need to. Gas was $7 per gallon there this August.

You will probably be saving money on electricity, heat, and water costs, as I heard that those are inexpensive. I am curious how inexpensive - can someone living in Iceland please post sample utility costs? Thanks!

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Reykjavik?!

After a few days visit, I can tell you about the price of drinks in Reykjavík, which are actually similar to those in Manhattan. Draft beer (Viking, Thule, Guinness, etc) was 600 kr, or about $10. Considering that last fall, my wife had a Bailey's on the rocks near Broadway for about $19.75, I didn't feel so bad.

I imagine the cost of food, etc. would be along the same lines. A dinner at a decent place (not a dump, and not the best) would be in the $50 ballpark. I'm sure as you hang there, you'll learn the better value places.

There were plenty of younger folks heading to the clubs by about 11 PM on both Friday and Saturday night( being older, bigger, and well...underdressed, I opted for some of the more relaxed places, followed by a relatively early bedtime). You should have no problems finding places to go.

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Reykjavik?!

Oh...and I'm terribly jealous about your 3-month stay. I just got home, and I'm missing Iceland already.

6. Re: Moving to Reykjavik?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 10, 2009