We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nonsmoking in Reykjavik??

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nonsmoking in Reykjavik??

We will be in Reykjavik Dec 30-Jan 2 at the conclusion of a trip around the world from California. My travel companion is an ADAMANT nonsmoker and will only stay in nonsmoking hotels and only eat in nonsmoking restaurants. Is anyone aware of a list of such establishments or can recommend a reasonably priced guest house which does not permit smoking anywhere?

Also-I really really really want to see the Northern Lights. Is it simply luck & weather? Are there specific places/tours that work?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nonsmoking in Reykjavik??

Hi,

I've been to Iceland a couple of times and did not notice anywhere non-smoking.

However, I am behind the times... a quick google of non-smoking Iceland brings up -

<<<<Fosshótel becomes Iceland's first hotel chain with all non-smoking facilities

Iceland voted for smoke-free bars, cafés, pubs, restaurants and night clubs.

The Icelandic parliament has passed a new law, making all enclosed workplaces smoke free. The law is set to come into force on 1 June 2007. Fosshotel has therefore decided to become Iceland's first hotel chain to have all guestrooms, bar and restaurants complete non-smoking facilities, starting 1 June 2007>>>>

Not sure how it affects restaurants and what the exceptions are, but you might be in luck.

However, Iceland is one of the cleanest countries in the world with the most pure air. Almost everywhere else on your trip with be more polluted and smokier, so I think your companion is in for some disappointments along the way!

Longwood, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nonsmoking in Reykjavik??

Hello there: I have stayed several times at the Sunna Guesthouse,

Sunna is just on the edge of downtown and is NON-SMOKING. www.sunna.is You can also phone them. All there speak English/

Certainly not a really luxurious place, but super clean and they serve a fabulous complementary breakfast. I liked staying there because it is very close to the big Hallsgrim church and it makes it so easy to find your way. Like many places in Reykjavik, it has three floors and no elevator, but they do have ground floor level rooms.

BTW: On my last trip to Iceland I did not see one Icelander smoking. When I arrived at the Keflavik airport for my return, they were unloading a bus of USA tourists. There I did observe at least 7 or 8 puffing away, contaminating the beautiful Icelandic atmosphere.

Good luck

Reykjavik
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nonsmoking in Reykjavik??

All restaurants and public places are now non smoking

A lot of hotels too. See for example http://4.is

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nonsmoking in Reykjavik??

I just left Reykjavik. I saw a few young people smoking outside of bars. When we were at the airport, we walked by a room where everyone was smoking.....I think it was a smoking lounge. The airport was smoke free.

We stayed at Castle Luxury Apartments. They are totally smoke free and perfectly located. We really liked being able to bring in much of our food! I did see an empty Winston pack on the outside stairs. My guess is that people go outside to smoke!

Kent,UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nonsmoking in Reykjavik??

We were in Iceland back in May

Everything is nonsmoking 100% But plenty of smokers out and about. We both smoke wasnt a big deal. But werent out on the booze.

6. Re: Nonsmoking in Reykjavik??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 09, 2009