We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Computers around Iceland

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miercurea-Ciuc...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Computers around Iceland

Hello,

I am going on a 2 week-tour of Iceland (2-16 August). I am joining an operated tour, however I am traveling on my own, therefore I would like to take my MP3 player with me.

My only problem is that my player (a shuffle) can only be charged by using a USB cable and a PC (it has no batteries or charger).

My question is: will I be able to find a computer everywhere we go (eg. maybe net cafes, hotel computers, etc)? And would they let me plug my USB cable into the PCs?

To get some idea of the places I'm going to (I guess it's a slow take on the Ring Road), this is where I will be staying:

Hotel Loftleidir

Hotel Borgarnes

Hotel Stykkishólmur

Hotel Flókalundur

Hotel Laugarhóll

Hotel Staðarskála

Edda A Plus, Akureyri

Hotel Nordurljós

Hotel Blafell

Efri Vík

Hotel Geysir

This player only has an autonomy of 12 hours, so if I won't be able to recharge it, there's not much point in taking it with me for 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Computers around Iceland

Hi,

Some observations -

Icelanders use the 'Net a lot and you see many using wireless PCs in cafes.

Consequently, there is low demand for internet cafes.

Most of Iceland is very rural.

An MP3 player is hardly going to fill your bag, so why not take it anyway?

Why not email those hotels (or some of them), and ask if they have that facility?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Computers around Iceland

All these hotels will have computers for their administration and billing. So it's only a question of whether they will allow you to plug in your USB cable.

I'm sure if you ask nicely then at least some will say "yes" - Icelanders are generally pretty helpful. And, you have 12 hours play time - I guess you'll not use more than 3-4 hours a day if you're busy taking in the sights, so a charge every second or third day should be enough.

Why not buy a USB charger? They're lightweight and you can get them for as little as US$ 10,-

Miercurea-Ciuc...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Computers around Iceland

Hey FrozenBaz,

I just wanted to thank you for the idea! I ended up buying a USB charger, even though it cost me a bit more than what you said (about $56, but it's a good one).

To be honest, I wasn't aware such a thing existed until you pointed it out and I looked it up :)

Have a nice day!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Computers around Iceland

Glad my idea was useful!

Longwood, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Computers around Iceland

I never stayed at the hotels you mention, but on a recent trip I did stay at five different places. All had internet service. And all permit you to use their own computers. In three, my wireless was perfect.

In the other two, I used their computer. The obvious problem was that there usually were 3 or 4 others trying to "borrow" the computer.

I normally had a 15 or 20 minute wait.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,757 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Computers around Iceland

Hey!, here is an idea.

Don´t take your ipod along, Listen to the songs of nature,

the birds teaching their young ones, and bringing food home,

the wind blowing against the mountains, or in the woods or howling down at the beach,

the sea so calm, or so noise, searcing the beach or slamming against the cliffs,

the waterfalls flowing sotly down the hillsides or falling of cliffs, or splashing into gorges or roaring in canyons,

the sound of the seals when they see you see them,

the sounds of the land early morning, when everything vakes up.

Have you heard the hiss of the steam vents, or the bubbling of the hot springs, or the sound of an iceberg cracking up and falling into the lagoon? And more, and more......

If you still think you need something to take you away from this reality, then read a good book about past events in the land of fire and ice:

www.amazon.com/Sagas-Icelanders/dp/0670889903

Forget the ipod!.

B-)

7. Re: Computers around Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 06, 2009